Hello all and I'm somewhat glad to fine this site. Some of the stories sounds a little scary. I'm due to get my cuff worked on in two weeks. I'd like to get some tips on what to expect other than the pain and not much sleep. What tips or tricks can you give for making it easier to live with one arm and how long that goes on. I'm right handed and it is my right shoulder. Switching from a razor blade to electric is the first thing I thought of. Don't want a self sacrifice and also realized the flap on men's pants covering the zipper is made for a right hander. I'm trying to figure out things like opening pill bottles, cutting up food, pulling up your pants, opening cans, etc. Just how much can you use your hand that has the shoulder bandaged. Also I have a desk job, a lot of phone work, hand writing and typing. Just how soon can do you think I can get back to work after surgery? Like the title says I have a bit of the jitters. Thanks

Hi Growler, here are some tips that help

1. Get one of those pillows that you can sit up and read a book with - it looks like a couch! Get big Sturdy pillows to put under your back and your arm - to stop you rolling over - you need to sit up or at least a major slant to sleep

2. Get your hands on some elasticated sweat pants - these are FAR easier than zippers - also go commando - no need adjusting 2 sets!

3. you will be in a sling - with usually a ball on the outside and one on the inside the ball on the outside is for you to exercise your hand - squeezing - and then when you are walking around it is usually vibrant pink - so people see it and it stops your arm bumping into things! You will rest it for about 3 days an then they will tell you to start doing SMALL exercises with it - as they don't want you to get frozen shoulder which is AWFUL\

4. I would suggest you shave your right armpit - as you can't put on deoderant for awhile

5. just get some frozen meals, you still can use your right hand to open things, you hold ith your right and open with your left! FORGET writing for a while - as the nerves wont allow you to hold tiny things.!

6. Even though you have the jitters from the unknown, just know that you can basically do what you did before just takes longer! The pain is controlled with pain killers they will probably put you on Percocet or Tylenol 3's for a week! These work fine! You will also be told when to see a physiotherapist - these guys know what to do as a Rotator Cuff Tear is one of the most common injuries that they deal with! Use the ball everytime you can! It REALLY help with the tendons in your hand and arm!

7. My biggest tip to you is to keep that shoudler moving and protected, I got frozen shoulder and it was 3 times worse than the tear pain! Get things in your house that will make it easer - such as pull open cans, shower heads with hose - a shower pulsating on your shoulder - when you can bathe is WONDERFUL! Get hot water bottle - the moist heat is the best for this! Eat healthy and you will be good to go in about a month - probably quicker, follow the instructions to the T OK?

Good luck it's a VERY common surgery and you should feel tonnes better shortley after! Please let me know how you make out! Good luck and health!

Thanks Bambi, you are a dear.
I couldn't resist and I bet you heard it 1000 time.
Call me Atilla of the Pun
Thanks for the good advise and the comforting words.

XD Actually you are the 1st and since I'm blonde it took me reading it 3 times!!!!! ;-) XD XD XD

Good luck honey you WILL be fine and right as rain before you know it!

I had repair to a serious rotator cuff and tendon tear 3 weeks ago. Almost pain free! I am ahead of schedule on Physical Therapy. It is vital you follow your PT's instruction and to keep up with your exercises at home. Ice packs help immensely. 

As for pants, I still wear my zip up pants. Pulling them up by pulling up and using my thighs to hold them in place to pull up the opposite side, and using inoperative hand to pull up waistband from the back. (unless you ewe air your pants skin tight, this is easy peasy).

Opening pill bottles, turn bottle upside down on a soft surface (such as a chair or sofa) press down with your inoperative hand and turn. Voila ! Once you get it open, you can put bottle and everything into a zipper sandwich bag OUT OF REACH OF PETS AND CHILDREN).

i would be hesitant about even opening pull top cans, even with the non operative hand. (Unless you are holding the can between your thighs,) My surgeon and nurse stressed no weight or stress of operative arm. Frozen dinners, are a good choice. Lunch meat etc.

Do not try to drive while taking pain meds, even if you think they do not impair your ability. I had no other choice but to drive myself to Physical Therapy, a dental appointment, and my surgical follow up visit. I just did not take any meds those days and relied heavily on ice packs.

I would advise sleeping in a recliner at least the first week following surgery, much more comfortable. Good luck to all.

My shoulder feels 100 times better then it did prior to surgery. My follow up appointment was 10 days post op. Stitches came out, Doctor told me I could leave the sling off when at home, but to wear it to bed and when out and about. I will e in the sling for 4 more weeks.

I wish everyone the best and a speedy recovery! :)

Mechele

As for pants, I still wear my zip up pants. Pulling them up by pulling up and using my thighs to hold them in place to pull up the opposite side, and using unoperative hand to pull up waistband from the back. (unless you wear your pants skin tight, this is easy peasy).

Opening pill bottles, turn bottle upside down on a soft surface (such as a chair or sofa) press down with your unoperative hand and turn. Voila ! Once you get it open, you can put bottle and everything into a zipper sandwich bag OUT OF REACH OF PETS AND CHILDREN).

I would advise sleeping in a recliner at least the first week following surgery, much more comfortable. 

My shoulder feels 100 times better then it did prior to surgery. My first Physical Therapy appointment was 4 days post op. My follow up appointment was 10 days post op. Stitches came out, Doctor told me I could leave the sling off when at home, but to wear it to bed and when out and about. I will be in the sling for 4 more weeks.

Mechele