I am contemplating having surgery on my right shoulder and right handed, due to a tear in the cuff.  I will need acromioplasty, taking away some bone and a small screw so he can attach the tendons to the bone.  I injured it by kayaking and I gym several times a week.  I am told 6 weeks in sling and three months of rehab.  I am right handed and I am not sure if the pain at night is better than the outcome long term of the surgery, any thoughts.  The posts do not seem promising.....

Do you have constant pain?  Or just at night?  Did you have pain before or is it just after the injury - how long ago?  There are many variables, and people have different results so there is no general, one size fits all answer.  You can probably count on longer than 3 months before you are back to normal, although it is a new normal.  Often it takes 6 to 12 months to really be painfree again.

I had a severe high impact fall, and never did recover as the scarring was too bad by the time they did surgery, and then got worse.  I am the definite 1% of poor outcome, and ended up with a reverse replacement and no cuff at all.  Be SURE you go to a shoulder specialist ONLY.

Hi, thanks for the reply. My pain is only at night but quite bad as I need pain killers which I hate to take and cannot much longer. I had a weakness for a couple of years in the right shoulder and went kyaking and then believed to have torn the ligament with a cuff of the bone that does seem to extend over the shoulder more than it should. I would prefer to do PT but not sure if this will help or just postpone the inevitable??

As long as you are aware of the risks, do what you feel you need to do. LOL, that doesn't help much, I know. I went through 6 surgeries and ended up disabled. - With no other health problems and a previously very active life, I can honestly say that there are no guarantees with surgery, no matter what the surgeons may tell a patient. The odds are in your favor of a good outcome, just be prepared for a very long and often painful recovery. Try PT first. If you have a good, focused therapist some folks are able to strength the surrounding muscle to make up for a torn cuff. It also depends on the extent of the tear (partial, full thickness, number of tendons involved, etc) and your age. The older you are, the more difficult it is to have a complete recovery. Many people have torn cuffs and do fine- my husband is a prime example of that.

Thnx for your story. I fell on my outstretched arm & tore my supra & got surgery 2 months later february 2008 after a PT helped me on the path to the new life. This is now 6 ½ yrs. ago. Actually I´d often felt a kind of unpleasant sensation in my (upper) back but as I had lots of interests I didm´t pay attention to it. I ´d had 2x surgery because of varicose veins in my left leg and some indications of "restless leg syndrome". Also my left hip caused sleeplessness but I´d found out that by working a lot my sleep was better so I stuck to this solution.. After the surgery my supra grew together again thanks to lots and lots of exercising and massaging of my back. My PT made it clear to me that this problem had developed as a mixture of genetic bad bloodflow (grandma had a humpback, daddy lots of back problems..), too hard work and lack of strengthening exercises to make up for these defects. I started "planking" after 18 months since the surgery which was a real pain in the ass to start with but by planking 3x a day bit by bit strength did come. Later I learned the sideways plank both on the repaired shoulder and the "healthy" left one. Planking is an important issue where bloodflow is involved,to stabilize the spine so bloodflow becomes stronger. I "planked" every morning on 4 sides until the end of last year when exercises changed a bit. I´m started doing push-ups and I´m sure I´m still getting stronger. I only regret now not having started earlier to do exercises as this would have PREVENTED an unpleasant injury on my right shoulder, i´m right handed.