Hello, folks. I broke my shoulder yesterday. My doctor says that I will have to wear a brace for my broken shoulder. I wonder how I will be functioning with this. What can you tell me about this? I would really appreciate all your replies. This means a lot to me.

Hi to you too. Do not despair. You will have to wear this for 3 to 4 weeks. It is important not to move the whole area during this period. After that, you will get a physical therapy. It will help you to regain your movements with your shoulder. After that, you must be very careful. Never make sudden moves with it. These several weeks will pass and you will feel better. You will need help from another person with this. Bye!

This is a critical period of your healing. You MUST wear the brace and do not lift your arm or you could end up needing surgery. You are lucky that your doctor just gave you the brace. You have to be patient. It may have to stay in the brace more than 3-4 weeks. it could take 6 weeks but it is better than having to go through surgery and then a 6 week or longer period of healing. Wear the brace day and night and only take it off to shower. You may need help getting dressed and undressed as you will not be able to lift your arm. good luck.

I can sympathize as I broke my shoulder 3 weeks ago. When It first happened, I felt totally helpless as I really messed up my whole right arm an thought it would be months before I could use it again --it was swollen and very painful. The doctor put it in a sling with instructions to keep it immobilized. He also gave me pain pills and ordered weekly x-rays to check the healing process.
At first, progress seemed very slow, but I am writing to encourage you as I am very pleased with the healing that has already taken
place. My right hand is now able to write and hold items and the arm feels stronger every day. I thank God daily for His healing power.
Don't be discouraged - the first couple weeks are the hardest. I encourage you to eat plenty of good protein and take vitamins C & D3, plus 500mg. calcium and 500 mg.magnesium in supplement form each day..