hi all. spotted this site and hope someone can help.

6 days ago i had surgery to correct a re dislocating shoulder. Doc reckons the surgery went fine and to be honest it seems to be recovering well even though its barely been a week.
My problem is that my dressing is a killer! my shoulder is strapped with thick sticky tape with insulation like material which is making me sweat and itch like a b***h!! plus the smell down there is getting worse. The dressing came really loose after only 3 days and i had to go back and get it re-done and i asked them when i was there if there was any other way it can be strapped so i can wash but they said i have to wait till i see the surgeon again to have my stitches out. My eczema is really flaring up and its really getting to me!!

Anyone had any experience of this op?? what was your aftercare like?? any problems or hints for me??

i will probably go back to the hospital this week to ask again but no one wants to make a decision without the surgeons approval but i wont be able to see him for another 8 days!

Steve

hey guys, ive just had keyhole on my shoulder 3 days ago and its killn m me, cant move it all! jus wonderin ne1 kno how long tll i feel human again, sorry cudnt press the question mark button there!

yea ino wot u mean about the itching, its destroyn me,

hey guys if u wuna shower take off ur sling n make ur own sling using a belt or sumthin to rest ur shoulder on, after showering remove belt and replace ur normal sling, if you want to wash ur sling coz of the sweating and stinking throw it in the wash and hang it up 2 dry wile talkin care of ur shouldder with another temparary sling, although the pain is unbearable now, it will all be over when you hit the 3rd week n its all be worth it when ur screwed up shoulder is back 2 normal n u dnt feel like a disabled dog anymore. take care of ur shoulders after surgery or ull be back to first stage all over again,

hey I had the same thing 6 days ago. I had a tear in the cartillage fixed by drilling 3 anchor holls in the bone and the anchor was hammered in place to reattach it, a partial tear in the rotator cuff cleaned up, a partial tear in the tendon attaching my bicep to the bone cleaned up, and a free floating piece of cartillage removed and to top it all off, a large bone spur removed. This is due to multiple dislocations over 14years. It was not till now that they had the technology to fix it. I have 4 small holes and alot of bruises. I have a cryo cuff for ice. 4 anyone who does not know what that is, it's a small ice chest that holds ice and water that is attached to a cuff that wraps around my upper arm and shoulder via velcro straps and it circulates ice water that stays cold for about 5 hours. It is my best friend. that and percocet. but it is getting better. One thing I hate is the cramping im getting in my entire arm at night. I wake up crying! sucks soooo bad! Oh and the skin on my hand is very dry. I don't get it. Maby it is due to all the fluid they gave me. I'd love to hear if that happened it anyone else. Be glad when I can pick up my 4 yr old again. Oh and for all out there a back scratcher will be your best friend when you cant reach those hard to reach places. I take mine every where I go. thanks for listening.

It sounds like I have more or less the exact same issue as you do. Reoccurring dislocated shoulder, torn anterior and posterior cartillage, partial bicep tendon tear, hill-sach lesions and bankart lesions, etc etc etc.... Long story short - I've injured my shoulder several times over the years, but the last time I took a really hard fall while wearing a 70 lb backpack, and that has now completely screwed me. My shoulder now pops out effortlessly. Being an active guy I'm extremely frusterated/depressed and feel like I'm screwed for life (portaging, paddling, mountain biking, backpacking, drums, guitar).

Can you please tell me if the surgery has helped you and please forward any advice that you may have on your experience and this topic.

Thank you so much for your time,
Scott

I forgot to mention,
The main issue is that there is an anterior and posterior tear of the superior glenoid labrum. I wrongly called that cartillage in my message above.

Scott

scott it is cartilage so you werent necessarily wrong but i am sure you are well and good now... this is my third shoulder surgery second in my left shoulder and its safe to say it will all work out but this is the worse few days i have experienced in a long time (i am 4 days out of the OR) and this is the first time i have experienced any eczema. anyone no how to deal with that issue i put baby powder on the inner elbow and i am hoping that that will clear it thanks all. matt

My son is having this surgery today, I will go tomorrow to help him out if I can at home. Any suggestions what to expect and what he may want/need from me?