My wife needs to do HCT test. When is HCT test ordered and why? She hasn’t felling well for days. I think that she is just exhausted from work. This test worries me a little I hope it is not serious. I told her that she needs to slow down.

The hematocrit or HCT test is normally ordered as a part of the complete blood count. But also for conditions such as: anemia and polycythemia, the monitoring of treatment for anemia, recovery from dehydration, and monitoring of ongoing bleeding. She maybe anemic, anemic people are always tired. I just to have deficiency of iron and I were always weak and tired. Decreased HCT indicate anemia, such as that caused by iron deficiency or other deficiencies. Other conditions that can result in a low HCT include vitamin or mineral deficiencies, recent bleeding, cirrhosis of the liver, and malignancies, but the most common cause of increased hematocrit is dehydration.