Hi! I have high chance of developing atherosclerosis. My doctor suggested me following test: heart CT Scan for arterial calcium buildup. Can you tell me something more about this test?

Hi! An electron beam computed tomography (CT) scan is a new test that can be used to find calcium buildup in the lining of arteries. This test can make an image in a fraction of a second and can take a clear picture of an artery even while the heart is beating. This test is used to find calcium buildup in heart arteries, which can increase your risk for coronary artery disease. It may be used as a tool to find hardening of the arteries in people who have a high chance of developing atherosclerosis. Fat and calcium buildup may be seen in the arteries during an electron beam CT scan. Treatment for atherosclerosis may be needed.