Hi everyone,

I've just been visiting some relatives in the countryside. I love going there, we make a fire when the sun goes down, one of my relatives plays the guitar perfectly and the other one sings very well, they make an awesome atmosphere.

Anyway, while talking with them and sitting around the fire, the one who plays the guitar told me that he has to do this PET scan. Apparently, it is used to show if someone has a heart disease, but he thinks that he is just fine. I doubt that, since he has to do this scan. Does anyone know which heart diseases can be diagnosed with PET scan?

Hey Lauren,

This test isn't only used to diagnose someone with a heart disease. Your doctor may order a PET scan to inspect the blood flow, oxygen intake, and metabolism of your organs and tissues. PET scans are most commonly used to detect cancerm, heart problems, brain disorders or problems with the central nervous system

This test gives your doctor the best view of complex systemic diseases, such as coronary artery disease, brain tumors, memory disorders and seizures

When PET is used to detect cancer, it allows your doctor to see how the cancer metabolizes, and whether it has spread, or metastasized, to new areas. PET also shows how the tumor is responding to chemotherapy.

Hi there,

I honestly hope that your relative is going to be okay. At least he is staying positive about this.

I believe that you can see most of the heart diseases with this scan. However, like Health n Joy told you above, this test isn't only used for this but if your relative's doctor told your relative that they are doing this in order to see if he has a heart disease, then they are doing it for it. 

It is a rather safe test and your relative should be out from the hospital the day after the procedure is done.

Hi guys,

Actually, his doctor didn't tell him why does he want him to do this test, he just told him that he should do it. I talked to my relative about it, he was talking to a friend of his about this PET scan and that friend of his told him that this is used for diagnosing people with heart diseases. I'm guessing that my relative still doesn't know that he might have cancer, I'm not daring to tell him nor to anyone else, we are just going to wait for the results and see. I hope everything is going to turn out okay.

Good day everyone.

Generally, a PET scan is a scan of your heart and it is a noninvasive nuclear imaging test. It uses radioactive tracers , that are also called radionuclides, and they are used to produce pictures of your heart. Doctors use cardiac PET scans to diagnose coronary artery disease and some possible damage due to a heart attack. Generally, a PET scan is a very accurate way to diagnose coronary artery disease and detect areas of low blood flow in the heart. PET can also identify dead tissue of your heart and injured tissue that’s still living and functioning. If the tissue is viable, you may benefit from a PCI or coronary artery bypass surgery.

Hello there. Here is what this test actually is and what this test is doing to you.  A PET scan can reveal the size, shape, position, and some function of organs in your body, and this test can be used to check several things, such as:

• Check brain function
  • Diagnose cancer, heart problems, and brain disorders
  • See how far cancer has spread
  • Show areas in which there is poor blood flow to the heart
  • Determine if a mass in your lung is cancerous or harmless

Several PET scans may be taken over time to check how well you are responding to treatment for cancer or another illness.

I am also sure that PET scan can diagnose cancer. I am sure that I was reading about this somewhere and that my doctor once mentioned this to me. PET  imaging have become essential diagnostic tools physicians use to reveal the presence and severity of cancers. According to this, PET imaging sure can help physicians detect cancer, evaluate the extent of this disease, and also they can select the most appropriate treatments. According to all of this, they can determine if the therapy is working, and detect any recurrent tumors. That means that this PET scan is really helpful. Good luck. 

Hello everyone. You are totally right about this one MakeMeCoffee. I know one older guy. Doctors recommended him to do PET scan diagnose and he was sure that this scan can only detect several heart issues or heart diseases. So he went there and he was really surprised when doctors told him that he has a cancer. Not a heart cancer (which is very rare). So I was reading all posts in here and I just wanted to write that this scan can diagnose cancer, but I can see that you already wrote this. And it is true.