Hi! Last year my dad had a few bladder stone attacks. Now he’s suffering from strong stomach pain. We think that it’s another one. Usually he needs to do ultrasound. My friend told me that bladder stones also can be diagnosed with IVP or CT scan. Does anybody do those procedures? Thanks?

Well, I have experience with Intravenous Pyelogram (IVP) few years ago. Doctor didn’t see any stones with ultrasound because stones were very little. IVP involves taking a series of x-rays after injecting a contrast agent into a vein. Computerized tomography or CT scan uses a scanner and a computer to create images of the urinary system. It’s quickly but can not detect very small stones.

Intravenous Pyelogram or IVP is method that is sometimes used to diagnose kidney stones by using a contrast CT scan, as corina said. However, even though this method gives the most reliable information about kidney stones, it is more expensive and takes a lot more time than ultrasound, or even an MRI scan. It’s usually used when there is the need to detect the stones’ location, size and shape, for example when there is the need for surgery or some other form of treatment.

Ultrasound scan is usually enough to make a good diagnose for kidney stone treatment, but definitely, there is almost no side effects for getting the IVP done, too, if there is a possibility to do so.