Hi. I am Jenny and I am 61 years old. I had two heart attacks. One was when I was 49 years old and the second one was when I was 59 years old – 10 years later. I was talking today with my friend, she is a doctor in retirement and I was telling her that I am having some symptoms such as leg pain and I think that my left leg has bigger temperature than the rest of my body. She told me that there is a chance that I am suffering from arterial stiffness. Can you tell me what are the causes of it and how it is diagnosed?

Hello there.

Well, this is a process that occurs with aging. As you are getting older plaque buildup narrows your arteries and it makes them stiffer. Changes like this make it harder for your blood to flow through them. Now, clots may form in these narrowed arteries and they can also block blood flow.

This blockage starves tissues of blood and oxygen and this can really make a huge damage or even tissue dead. This is a very common cause of heart attacks and I can see that you already had heart attacks.

It is diagnosed when your doctor does a lot of different tests and analyses. It is very important to do cholesterol levels as well.

Tell me, are you a smoker?

Hello Guest.

What is going on?  How do you feel today?

You really need to treat it very soon and to find out what is the best treatment with your doctor. It is much related with blood pressure and that is why you need to react. Blood pressure is just one of the symptoms of underlying processes.

The strength of each heart beat contributes to blood pressure and the resistance to the blood flow provided by the arteries is also very, very important to determine.

To cut long story short, when arteries are compliant and reactive the heart does not work like it should!

And doctors can diagnose it very easy.

Hey there. Well, I understand those possible causes and I am trying to understand this diseases as well. I need to admit to you – yes, I am a smoker but I smoke two cigarettes per day and I used to smoke more than 10 or 15. Can this have some negative affect on me? Do you want to tell me that I need to stop smoking? About my cholesterol level, I think that it is very high as well but I haven’t done any of those tests lately. I don’t know, I will visit my doctor today and see what we can do about it. I hope that he won’t tell me that I need to go to the surgery.

Hey there. Well you definitely need to quit smoking. That is very important. It doesn’t matter are we talking about two cigarettes or whole box of cigarettes. I am pretty sure that your doctor is going to tell you the same. Of course it can have negative impact on you. About your other conclusion and your cholesterol level, you should check it as soon as possible. I have a feeling that you are not responsible about your health.

Arterial stiffness is not something that you should take lightly. You need to treat it. Sometimes it is hard to set the diagnose but it can be done.

Hi folks. I was diagnosed with arterial stiffness three years ago. I know a lot about it. Central blood pressure and measures of arterial stiffness have been shown to be very powerful predictors of some very huge cardiovascular events. They have also become very important targets for examining the effects of different types of treatment. Doppler analysis can determine the rate and the amount of the blood. I believe that this is the best diagnose. Arterial stiffness indicates two mayor terms, and those terms are arteriosclerosis and atheromatosis. So far I am fine. I have some little problems but it is nothing that hard. And you should definitely quit smoking.