Hi everybody,

I have a friend who recently found out that she has some issues with her heart. Apparently, a lot of people in her family had heart problems so she kind of knew that this was going to happen someday.

She is supposed to have a coronary heart disease. The doctor told her that but he can't know for sure until he does a coronary calcium scan. It's the first time I hear about this kind of scan so I know nothing about it. I know only that it can show whether or not she has a coronary heart disease.

So I'm wondering if you can tell me more about this, what is a coronary calcium scan?

Hey Stradivarius,

I think I can give you some info about this matter.

A coronary calcium scan is a test that looks for specks of calcium in the walls of the coronary (heart) arteries. These specks of calcium are called calcifications. Calcifications in the coronary arteries are an early sign of coronary heart disease, that's why her doctor told her that he needs to do that first in order to know for sure if she has a coronary heart disease.

CHD is a disease in which a waxy substance called plaque (plak) builds up in the coronary arteries.

Two machines can show calcium in the coronary arteries. The procedure is pretty simple and painless since you are just lying down in the scanning machine for about 10 minutes while it takes pictures of your heart.

Hi you two,

Alan explained this pretty good. Calcifications indeed are responsible and are the first sign of coronary heart disease. I'm not sure what did your friend's doctor notice on her to assume that she has coronary heart disease, but anyway, after doing a coronary calcium scan, they will both know for sure.

A coronary calcium scan is a fairly simple test. You'll lie quietly in the scanner machine for about 10 minutes while it takes pictures of your heart. It uses X rays to create detailed pictures of your heart. The pictures will show whether your friend has calcifications in her coronary arteries or not.

Hello there.

Coronary calcium scan is a heart scan actually. It provides the picture of your heart’s arteries or coronary arteries. Doctors usually use it to look for some calcium deposits in the coronary arteries that can narrow your arteries and increase your heart attack risk. That is why this test is good.

Well the result of the test is usually called a coronary calcium score.

I remember that my uncle was doing this test and the result was – higher risk of heart attack. Since then he was really careful when it comes to his heart and his health.

I would do it as well.

Hey everyone. I had this scan. I had the same issue like you did because I didn’t know anything about it and I was pretty much scared, especially because I was 31 years old when I had this scan. It is a good technique that helped me and it shows a possible cause of heart attacks and even death. Well, coronary artery disease is actually a leading cause of death. I remember that I didn’t wanted to do this scan because I was terrified of this. My husband told me that I should and tnx to him I did it. I don’t know where I would be now.

Hey everyone.

The most important thing is that you don’t need to prepare for this scan. I believe that this scan is something that is basic and totally normal. Everyone told you what it is, but no one didn’t explain the goal of coronary calcium scan. Well, it has a goal to determine is anything present in your heart or do you have some cholesterol perhaps.

I think that thanks to this scan you can be prepared. Well, doctors are already pretty good at predicting heart disease risk among the healthy people and this scan can only help them. Good luck there.

Hey everyone, 

You are right, Big Z, there is no need to prepare for this scan because it is very simple to do. You have a machine that takes pictures of your heart while you are lying in it for about 10 to 15 minutes.

Yes, it can easily show whether or not you are prone to having a heart attack. It's actually a very useful scan, it shows you whether or not do you need to change your life and whether or not you are living a healthy life.

Other than just seeing the possibility of you having a heart attack, it can also detect CHD (coronary heart disease).

Coronary calcium scans use a special X-ray test called computed tomography (CT) to check for the buildup of calcium in plaque on the walls of the arteries of the heart (coronary arteries ). This test is used to check for heart disease in an early stage and to determine how severe it is. Coronary calcium scans are also called cardiac calcium scoring.

The coronary arteries supply blood to the heart. Normally, the coronary arteries do not contain calcium. Calcium in the coronary arteries may be a sign of coronary artery disease (CAD).

Have a nice day. 

Good day everyone. I hope that you are doing fine.

Lately, I have heard a lot of people talking about this scan. First, I was not so sure why because I need to tell you that this was a totally new thing for me. I didn’t know what this is, I didn’t know how this can help someone.

But when I heard about this, about everything that you wrote in here I need to tell you that I have change my opinion totally. My friend Alex told me a lot of positive things about this scan and I believe that everyone should do it (everyone with heart problems). Good luck.