Hello all. I am here to find out more about hearth diseases. In the last two years, two of my friends died as a results of hearth attack. One of them was pretty close to me and it didn’t come as a surprise so much because she had heart disease before, her diet was terrible, she really didn’t take much care of herself. It was just a matter of time when she will have to pay for such behavior. She wasn’t very young, she was actually a friend of my parents. And the other person who died recently was a big surprise. I still can’t believe it. His wife says his cholesterol level was completely normal. His doctor says that cholesterol is not always an indicator, sometimes we need to pay attention to Coronary Calcium Score. Is this true? Can Coronary Calcium Score be the predictor of heart attack?

Hey there.

I did this research a few months ago as well because I have some heart issues just like my whole family. I found that doctors and the studies are for it and that doctors are saying that this procedure checks for calcium buildup in the arteries. It rates heart attack risks and this is going to help to predict heart attack.

I also have heard that this procedure is very quick and painless.

Doctors generally do use a blood test to check for high levels of c – reactive protein and this protein can signal artery inflammation. This is a potential predictor of a heart attack.

Finally someone remembered to bring this up!

I read this article long time ago. I still remember it very well- MESA (Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis) have found a better way to predict heart disease.

I was immediately intrigued since all of my family has hearth problems.

They say that cholesterol and blood pressure certainly are something to look at when predicting a heart attack possibility, but they say that the amount of calcium in the coronary arteries may be even a better predictor.

Why is this not practiced yet in our hospitals? I never had the amount of calcium in the coronary arteries measured.

Good day everyone.

Well, this is very interesting subject. I remember that I was reading about this a few months ago and I didn’t believe that there is something that actually can predict heart attack. I remember that I read somewhere that the coronary calcium score is very strong predictor of incident coronary heart disease and that this provides predictive information beyond that provided by standard risk factors.

CCS is a very precise quantitative tool for measuring and tracking heart disease risk and it is more valuable and accurate than other traditional markers.

I am glad that there is something like this.

I was wondering the same thing.

I assume the reason for this technology not to be used is that it requires some expensive machines that measure calcium level- calcium scanners.  They don’t have them in many hospitals and that’s why they stick with the traditional methods- checking patient’s blood pressure, cholesterol level and life habits.

On the other hand, you will find many private clinics that have calcium scanners and use them regularly to predict if there is a need to treat someone. Traditional methods treat many people needlessly even though their calcium level is maybe low (this makes them unlikely to have heart attack).

Well that’s just devastating.

They are practically treating people with heart medications, and we all know how ‘’harmless’’ those can be and which side effects they can cause, not even knowing if they really need them.

I was just googling about this and I have read that this technology was reveal several years ago. In this article I read, they referred to it as a new technology and the article was written in 2012.

We had four years to make that happen.

I just hope that very soon this will be an everyday thing in our hospitals, for the generations to come.

This is the first time I’m hearing about this. Cool. I love these moments when I just want to hug whoever came up with this idea.

So this would mean that by doing a simple calcium scan you immediately know if there is a danger of a hearth attack.

Man I wish this existed while my mother was alive. I wouldn’t care how much it costs.

She was constantly treated for her heart problems and the doctors were so occupied to keep her not having a heart attack that they needed forever to figure out my mother was dealing with myocarditis.

Well I need to tell you that I am very surprised about this because I have never heard anything like this, and I have to tell you that I am a little bit sad because of that. I am surprised because you guys do know a lot about it and I have no clue at all.

I am going to read very carefully all your comments now and try to figure out as much as I can.

I can see that this is very good thing and I will do some research.

Thank you for telling me something that I didn’t know before :)