I am 7 weeks pregnant, have a very bad coughs that i was hospitalized for 1 day and still have the coughs. I have chest pain and fever, the doctor gave me antibiotics because i have infections and cough suppressants. They took a chest x-ray (with stomach protection for pregnant woman), they told me that there is a shadow on my right chest. The doctor told me that a benign, tumor or cancer lymphoma or just a something infection in my chest are the possibilities. To know what it is, i have to take CT scan which is very dangerous for my pregnancy.

For now, i don't want to take the CT scan because i don't want to risk my baby. But i am also concerned what is the "Shadow" on my right chest.

Anyone can help or have any suggestions? i am so confused and scared.

mama-bear

if the only way u can be sure about this is by having CT then u should do it. try first asking more than a doctor about its side effects to ur pregnancy n when u do it im sure they will be as careful as possible. if its something serious - hopefully not - then u will be able to deal with it as u should. besides how do u know if leaving this thing cant affect the pregnancy so i tihnk u should go for it.. ur baby needs u save n healthy

According to my doctor, the CT scan is dangerous for the pregnancy because it can cause miscarriage or if it is not miscarriage, it could become deformity. That's the possibilities of CT scan: miscarriage or deformity. She actually suggested to abort the pregnancy but i am so sad, i don't want to abort the pregnancy, I told her that i need time to think.

My husband and i was thinking that we just go with the antibiotics and cough suppressants at this moment and will take the 2nd x-ray exam to see how the "Shadow" is doing in 1 month.

I also asked my parent's doctor (he is specialized in pulmonary disease) who lives in a different country, he told me not to have CT scan.

I will have my ob-gyn appointment next week and see what is my ob-gyn's suggestions.

Did anyone ever have this kind of experience or heard anyone that has this kind of situation?

mama-bear

I need to know what ended up happening - did you end up having the baby? I am in the same situation.

Similiar incidences with me. I would also like to know what happened with the baby.

I just had a CT scan on Tuesday for a suspected blood clot and irregular heartbeat. I was not happy about it, buy my hi-risk OB said, "You can't have a healthy baby if you don't have a healthy mom!" You need to take care of yourself first. And, although not ideal, CT scans pose some risks but so do many other things. Just try to stay positive for yourself and for your child.

HELLO. I AM A CAT SCAN TECH AND WE HAVE DONE MANY CAT SCANS ON PREGNANT WOMEN. THE RISK TO THE BABYN IS REDUCED BY SHEILDING THE ABDOMEN. I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF ANY DEFORMATIONS OR SPINTANEOUS ABORTIONS FROM A CAT SCAN. THE PHYSICIAN THAT IMPLIED ABORTION SHOULD RETURN TO MEDICAL SCHOOL. I WOULD HAVE THE CAT SCAN DONE.

I had CT scan while was pregnant and did not know i was pregnant. later at 3 months of my pregnancy I found out that my baby had many deformities and was advised to do abortion.. I had to abort the pregnancy. When I did my CT scan I was only a week pregnant. My CT scan was on ABDOMEN area, direct radiation to my baby. So it is dangerous from my experience. You will need to think of what is more important to you b/f making your Decision

OMG!! TO THE GIRL WHO HAD THE CT AT ONE WEEK!!! I JUST FOUND OUT I'M 3WEEKS AND HAD A CT SCAN DONE OF MY CHEST PELVIS & STOMACH!! I DIDNT KNOW! HOW DID YOU FIND OUT THE BABY HAD ALOT OF THINGS WRONG WITH IT??? PLEASE LET ME KNOW I'M FREAKING OUT!!!

i have had a ct at 5 weeks and that's how they found out i was pregnant. Im 8weeks now please let me know when you find out.

The Lab Tech misread my blood work at the hospital and said I was not pregnant. I had a CT Scan on my pelvis and stomach because I was have horrible cramping. I also had an iodine CT scan. The scan showed up that I was pregnant. An ultra sound showed that I was just 4 weeks pregnant. The hospital is ordering a report from a physicist, however, I am pretty sure his findings will come back that there was no harm to the fetus since the hospital wants to down play the severity of the situation because they are afraid of a law suit. The things I have been reading on the internet are heart breaking. I have to decide whether or not to terminate the pregnancy because of their mistake.

I would greatly appreciate any information any of you have to share about your situations. I know some of these posts are a few years old, but if you could help, i would appreciate it greatly.

im 32 weeks pregnant with horrible ribcage pain and numbness on the left side. im really scaired because the hospital told me it could be a blood clot and if i dont get a cat scan i could die and if i do get one there can be minamal damage to the baby but also no guarentees on what happens to the baby. im soo scaired. advice?? should i go back and get it done? :'(

Hello Ladies. I am 19 weeks pregnant and went into the hospital 3 days ago for sever back ache, abdoinal pain, sweats, and chills. They had to do a ct scan and from what my obgyn told me is if the baby is past the developmental stage. Basically your baby has a normal heartbeat, has all 10 fingers and toes, everything is accounted for then in a serious medical emergancy like I was in then a CT scans benefits out weighs the negitives. So I hope this helps some of you with these issues. He also told me first trimester is NOT the time to have a ct scan done if it can be avoided. So just wait till your second trimester and it should be alright. Good luck!

I had 2 tires blow out on my car when i was driving and the car flipped 8times i was told... my head busted out the sunroof n i was nocked out. i woke up to the doctors telling me that they did ct scans on me and x rays before finding out i was pregnant. ( I didnt even know i was pregnant) The doctors then started telling me that they recommed me getting an abortion because the radiation could have caused severe damage to my baby. To me to have found out that I made it alive when I should have died (because i was pinned upside down with a busted open head bleeding out like crazy) and then to find out im carrying a child its a miracle.
Im so terrified rite now. God I hope my baby is ok. Im so scared and dont want to get an abortion cause i love my baby so much already even though im only weeks prego . Please someone give me feedback reasuring me my baby will be healthy. I dont want my child to have difficulty i just want it to be healthy and happy. I know i will do everything i can to make this child as healthy as possible, i just need reasurance my baby will be fine.

I will pray for your baby. God can keep your baby safe and Sometimes doctors are wrong because they're not God. Please don't abort your miracle baby. God bless you.