Please forgive me if this is too graphic. Okay, so.. I'm 21. I've always had problems with my period, like extreme cramps, and they've always been long (at least 8 days) and heavy. I also have painful intercourse, whether I'm close to my period or not. Anyway, last night was the first night of this month's period, and I had worse cramps than I had in a long while, to the point of some tears. Then, probably about an hour ago, I went to change my tampon. When I pulled it out, I noticed what looked like a clot, but was bigger than normal (a little smaller than a nickel?) and was hanging. So, I decided to check it out, out of curiosity. It looked weird. So I set it aside (on some folded up toilet paper) to get a closer look. It still looks weird to me, so (and here's where it gets a bit more strange), I grab a q-tip, wet it, and poke around at it a bit. I'm not even sure how to explain how it felt.. almost like a hardened jelly, I guess? Anyway, that's not getting me anywhere, so I tear a piece of cardboard from a toilet paper tube, place whatever it is on the cardboard and run it under a weak stream of water in hopes of rinsing the blood off, which didn't seem to work much at all.. but when I finally see it s bit mire clearly, it looks almost like a piece if raw meat, or a heart with small vein-like things around it! It freaked me out. It was dark red, but had a very small lighter spot on a "corner" of it. It also looked like it had some tiny veins running through it or something. I apologize for such a lengthy post.

am having same problem as well and i was given birth control pills by my doctor

did you ever find out what it was??? i just had the same thing happen to me...i do not have health insurance and am hesitant on going to the doctor

I had this same problem - with several of my periods.
Apparently it is very common.
A meaty looking, bloody discharge is basically just the lining of the uterus that is shed every month.
The thickness can be affected by your hormones, so if you're on the pill this would affect it.
Clots are also common and are just a mixture of both the period blood and lining.

So I wouldn't worry - but ask your Doctor just to make sure.

Sounds like a Decidual cast. It's caused by progesterone (present in many birth control pills and produced in pregnancy) levels different from normal. It's totally harmless and it is a shedding of the uterine lining. It usually comes out in a large clump or in the shape of the uterus.
If you are still worried, please please see your doctor.
I know this is an old post but hopefully someone came for help and sees this!!

Could be endometriosis. There are various treatments but it causes similar symptoms. Ask a gynecologist.