I started on birth control about four months ago; it changed my menstrual cycle completely, and not for the better, since now it lasts five days instead of its usual three, and for the past two months I have been passing strange tissue-like substances in my period. They are not blood clots; they are clear, elastic and jelly-like with a strong smell- not the normal period smell, but like something died and sat in the sun for too long. I have only mild cramping during my period, and I am sexually active. I missed a pill this month and was very late on another pill. Should I have the tissue tested? Any ideas of what it is? Should I be worried?

the same thing is happening to me.. however i am on the pill.. is this normal?

Same thing to me, only once though. And i am on ortho evra pill as well.

If you were pregnant for 'one day' the matter would be so small you wouldn't notice it along with the rest of your menstrual cycle.

I have had the same reaction, I've been on the pill for about 2 months, and had to take it to make my cycles more regular.(before i always had spotting, but my cylce would last for an entire month)
so far it hasnt worked. because my period goes on for about 2 weeks or more and severe bleeding and the strange "clumps" you were talking about.
But, I am 17 and am not sexually active.
so I am thinking about quiting the pill.

i quit the pill b/c they say the y may damage your reproductive organs...and they always cause weird things to happen %-)

I have had a similar problem, ive been on the pill for about 4 years now and usually i go without my 7 day break for 2 months then have a period, well this period i found a quite large circular blood clot thing only it was different because it had white stuff covering sections of it, it didnt smell it was just hard to break up, so i went to the doctor and she said that it was an early stage miscarriage.

I was just wondering, that I had something that would I suppose for all intensive purposes be considered a clot but it felt quiet more like a peice of raw tissue. I've dissected animals before and this almost looked like and felt like a small liver or something...

Is there something horribly wrong with me?

I've just experienced the same thing, literally just now, and found this post whilst trying to figure out what just passed through me. It was red, but in parts colourless, extremely large, thick and 'membrane-y'. Considerably disconcerting but am going to the clinic tomorrow about another matter and will ask about it then - will be back to post an answer hopefully.

i was looking on google for an answer to why i am finding rather large pieces of pale red tissue in my periods.

they usually always appear the second day into my period. This topic would have answered my question if i was on the pill but i have never once been on the pill and i have not been sexually active for the past year and a half and it is making me wonder what this tissue actually is.

It has only started happening for the past 2 years.

I am also recovering from a serious water infection and was wondering if that had anything to do with it, but at the same time i am doubtful as it was happening before then.

Also, these bits of tissue are not small pieces sometimes, the most recent one i found this period was about half the length of my thumb, i know that means nothing but my hands are average 19yr old size and it is a pale pink/red colour.

Does anyone have an explanation to help me?

the same thing happened to me. I just started the pill for regularity and pain control. And I am not sexually active. And I have also dissected a lot of animals before and it seemed like fleshy. gross...is this safe?

yea, this JUST happened to me too, i just started taking the pill and it's my first period since. this thick discharge is gross and freaking my out! plz help

Many women pass tissue in their period, myself included. When you have a period, you are shedding uterine lining, which is a big coat of tissue in the uterus. Chunks of this tissue pass through with the blood. Some women's systems are better and breaking the tissue down into pure blood before it passes through.

Often the more cramping is present, the bigger the chunks of tissue.

i also just had the same thing this morning... i was scared.. but i went to work.. and came home and googled it. and found this post.
i was having just a normal period. i think it was only a few days late this month.. and then its been around 6 days now.. and i got these bad pains.. and weird tissue was coming out.. it REALLY SCARED ME.
i thought maybe a miscarriage.. cause it looked so weird.. it wasnt a blod clot.. i know the difference.. it looks sortof elasticy light pink.. with darker specks of red in some parts.. l stringish looking at one point..
im not on the pill.. but i always have safe sex.. lately me and my boyfriend haven been even having much sex.

I just had a colposcopy three days ago. I got my period today. Just a few moments ago, I went to change my pad, and noticed a very large, almost huge, piece of something that came out of my body. I'm sorry, but the only way to describe it, is like a white cabbage leaf. Gross I know. It was soft to the touch, more like tissue than a clot. I get a ton of clots, but have never seen anything like this. It's too late to call my doctor and I'm totally freaking out. The first thing I thought was miscarriage, but my doc gave me a pregnancy test before my procedure. What if it was wrong?!!!!