Hi, I am 18 years old and have a question that has been worrying me for quite some time. Towards the end of Jan, when I normally get my period I received a dark brown discharge/blood ( I don't know which. ) Instead of my normal period. It lasted a few days, stopped, then happened again a week later. I want to add that this was not spotting, but not heavy either. However, the amount of discharge I was having required a pad. This event put me under a lot of stress because it has never happened to me before and I didn't know what it was. :-( I am not sexually active so this can't be some sort of disease. In the month of Feb. I received no period at all, most likely due to all the stress I was having over what happened in Jan. This month, I received brown discharge again around the time my period was due, only this time it lasted for a day and then stopped.

Please help because I am worried sick.

P.S I did go to a doctor about this and she said that I might have not ovulated or the uterine lining did not shed correctly. She told me to come back if I didn't get my period by the end of March, however I am trying to contact her and have not received a call back yet. So I'm putting up this post to perhaps ease my mind for awhile.

Yeah, I'm actually experiencing relatively the same thing right now and it's worrying me. I didn't get my period last month, but then this month I have been having brown discharge which requires a pad for the past 9-10 days (my period is normally medium-heavy and lasts only 5 days exactly!)... so i'm getting pretty worried. I have the "period" symptoms every day.. the bloating, stomach ache, etc... it's really annoying! I'm wondering if I should see a doctor about this but part of me feels like they're just going to tell me to come back later and that this can be normal...

I just had that same problem and I read this and it helped alot.Dark brown, thick blood is old blood. Sometimes blood stays in the uterus for a few days, and when it comes out it is brown. Think about how a bloodstain on clothing looks after a few days -- it does not stay bright red. If associated with severe cramping, this brown blood may be a sign that the cervical opening is too narrow, preventing free flow of menstrual blood; the blood sits in the uterus for a while, until contractions of the uterus push it out.

If your daughter's cycles are irregular, she may not be ovulating. In this case, portions of the uterine lining may be shed erratically, creating irregular bleeding that is mistaken for a real period. These small amounts of tissue may flow out as well as when the entire lining sheds with a normal menstrual cycle. Because it may take longer for this blood to be extruded, it may look browner and thicker.

Sometimes an infection can cause menstrual blood to look -- and smell -- funny. If associated with a foul odor (remember blood itself often has a characteristic smell), tenderness or fever, this should definitely prompt a visit to the gynecologist