Hello, I have a daughter that is 8 years old and very defiant she is diagnosed with adhd and is taken adderall xr 10mg. I dont feel she is taken the right dosage and when i bring this up to the doc he really just wants to take her off the meds altogether. I don't think the meds are helping, she gets in trouble every day at school. Please someone help me understand this and what i need to do to get the help she needs.

Hi:
I understand you plight. I raised a son with ADHD and he was correctly diagnosed. Here are some suggestions that will be important to the success of your son. You MUST find a doctor that is knowledgeable about ADHD AND believes that it exists. Some doctors will treat the child with pills, but they don't believe in the condition. Find a hospital that has a specialty in this area. For example...Georgetown University in DC (United States) has or hd a whole department dedicated to kids with this condition. Be sure that this is what is going on. Here are some difficult questions. Is it possible that your daughter has experienced some trauma that is causing her to act out? ADHD kids are not necessarily defiant, although it's common. They are typically very intelligent kids who don't progress because their lack of focus, impatience and need for movement interferes with their ability to progress academically and socially. The success of medications differs between children. If she is properly diagnosed, there are techniques to deal with the behaviors that can be quite successful, even in school. In schools, you can have the benefit of closer attention and smaller learning groups by getting her qualified for Special Ed services under the "other" classification. Many parents are not aware of this. The first step is to find a doctor as I mentioned before or she will never get proper attention. The second step is to get a firm diagnosis. The other step, which is really for right now is to get her into counseling. Get a counselor who is educated in this are. Ongoing counseling will help and educate you and it will provide an outlet for your daughter that might reveal what's going on in her head so that her emotions can be addressed. I wish you the best and I really hope that you will share as you move thru this difficult journey. Also, find a support group for parents of ADHD kids.

I forgot to share a little hope for you. My son is now 20 years old. He is in college, and doing good. He is still a bit hyper and a little bit obsessive I would say, but not in a way that is harmful or in a way keeps him from being successful. This can be frustrating for me at time, but we all have something. That's just who he is. He's doing fine, functioning as a normal 20 year old young man. Your daughter's future can be bright as well. Believe in her and she will feel it.