I am 29 years old. I was experiancing a lot of hair loss a couple monthes ago and brought it up at my annual check up since I had a 6mth old baby. She said my thyroid was swollen and ordered labs and ultrasound. Labs had my T1 on the high end and thyroxin on the low but all within limits. The ultrasound showed 3 nodules (3cm, 1.5cm and 0.5cm). Endo dr did a biopsy about 2 weeks later. 2 weeks after that the results were inconclusive. It gave me a 20-30% of it being cancer. Endo dr refered me to an ENT and recommened a hemithyroidectomy. So did the ENT. The ENT said that he would only take the whole thyroid out if it was cancer. So monday I went in for my hemithyroidectomy with possible total. I could hear the nurses talking about my total thyroidectomy as I was coming around. What a horrible way to find out I had cancer. I didnt even get to fully wake up first. I am fighting against depression and anger and extreme sobbing. I fight to be as normal as possible for my children and husband. My hormones are going crazy, the mood swings are severe, and no one I know understands. I have no one to talk to about being angry that I have cancer. In a couple of weeks I get to go in for a radioiodine treatment. I breastfeed my infant and this will end that. I wont be allowed to see my children for 3 days. This only addes to my depression and anger. As far as the surgery the pain wasnt to bad. The hair loss is getting worse, I wont start thyroid medicine till 6 weeks post-op. I do get dizzy and confused. If this is what I have to do to be normal again then I want to hurry and get done with it.

I'm sorry to hear that things are going so hard. Did you have a question or did you just want to vent? Can you let me know how you're doing now? Also just a recommendation--it really helps to register for the forums if you have a question...when you do, you get an email when someone replies so you can find out when to come back. If you have an issue like this, it helps to come back and talk to people about it. What do you think?