I’m taking thyroidectomy in 2 weeks. I’ve arranged everything with the doc, he explained the whole procedure, recovery… Everything… Anyway, I know what to except, apart from my after op look. He assures me that scar will not be very large, that it is possible it will not be visible after 2-3 months, but, still, it is my neck in the question… I’m just scared that it will be ugly and that I will have to keep it covered at all times… Does anybody here have some scars pictures to share with me?? I would really like to see it… Thanks.

I’ve searched the net and found some on this address:
http://members.lycos.nl/thyroid/pictures.htm
Take a look. I hope this helps

I am a 46 year old woman who was diagnosed with kidney cancer and thryoid cancer in 2005. I have an 18" scar on my right side and a 5" scar on my throat. I wear these scars proudly because I am a survivor. I know that as a woman we worry about scars and how we will look, but there are some things we cannot control. You will be a survivor and your scar is your battle medal. It is not something to be ashamed of - WEAR IT PROUDLY AND HOLD YOUR HEAD HIGH!!!!!! You my dear friend will be another survivor of this nasty disease and we need to wear our battle scars just as Generals wear their medals!!!!

Deborah

I underwent surgery 8 months ago and my scar is still very visible and red. I suggest that you make sure that your surgeon uses the dissolvable sutures because the regular ones leave additional scarring. Also be clear on whether the incision will be at the base of the neck or in the middle of the neck. If it is the middle of the neck, get a complete explanation as to why it cannot be located at the base. You can also do a search on thyroidectomy scars and you will see photos. My experience is recovery will take at least a few weeks not a few days as they indicate. Good luck.

I had my thyroid removed Aug 13, 2009. It went much better than I could have hoped for!! My surgeon used a type of glue, instead of stitches or staples, and covered it with Steristrips! It looks wonderful. I was back to work, at a Children's Hospital, in less than 2 weeks. It wasn't noticeable at all. Make sure your surgeon performs this procedure regularly! I was able to eat and drink shortly after the surgery. Hoarseness may occur, but this is usually temporary! Good Luck!!

I had the same fear. I have only been out of surgery for a week so I can't share a photo yet, surgical glue makes it look worse than it is underneath--I can peak in where the glue has washed off and it is only a faint line. First and foremost, find an acclaimed surgeon. I found a top surgeon who located my scar at the base of my neck and used surgical glue to seal the scar. Although they estimated a 9 cm scar (3.5 in) it is just short over 5 inches when you include the small incisions on either end used for the drainage tubes. Although one side is longer than the other, it is well placed so it can be easily covered with scarves or turtlenecks and in about 3 months, after the swelling a redness subsides I understand that even thick necklace a can camouflage it in the future--I remain hopeful.
It would have been comforting for me to know that after I went under anesthesia I would awake to find my neck cozy in a soft neck brace pillowing the incision. No pain at all with morphine in my IV. I stayed in the hospital overnight and walked out with the neck brace and only gauze underneath, covering my wound. I didn't dare look at it for two days and when I did I didn't realize how much of it was glue. I took pain meds for two days once at home, mainly to help me sleep, the pain was so minimal. I was off meds and functioning close to normal showering, dining out and travelling as a passenger in a car within 4 days after surgery, but I stayed off of work and refrained from driving for 8 days on my surgeon's recommendation, which I would suggest as a minimum. I didn't believe the doctors when they said it is an easy recovery, but it truly was. When it is your NECK, you can't believe it, but now I live to tell it's the truth.

Hi im also having a thyroidectomy in 3 weeks time, im worried a bit about the surgery, mainly the drainage tube coming out and really want to know if they hurt at all, and when u were put to sleep, did they use gas and put iv in before surgery or did u wake up with it in ur hands, really dont like having them put in...

I had a total thyroidectomy in August 2009. The incision was made at the base of my neck, along an existing skin crease. The doctor used internal stitches only. As of today, the scar is almost invisible on my skin, and people only see it if I point it out.

I didn't have any drainage tubes or anything else in my neck either.

I had a total thyroidectomy April 21st. My surgeon incised at the base of my neck and closed the wound using dissolving sutures under the skin and DuraBond (surgical glue) to close the skin. I did have a drainage tube just to the right of the suture line, but once removed, it left something a tad larger than a pin hole. My anesthesia was administered by IV once I entered the OR and I was out in one happy moment. I was tubed and un-tubed under anesthesia. A few moments after I was under, the anesthesiologist patted me on the shoulder and said, "OK, we're done. "With what?" and he said, "The surgery."

The suture line was swollen and yes, the DuraBond, while clear, made it look more unsightly. I was instructed to peel it off two weeks later.

Four days after surgery I returned to work. I asked a co-worker to ask her mom, a surgical nurse, what was best for the scar. She said Kelo-cote and gave me two sample tubes. This is miracle stuff. 4 weeks after surgery and after using Kelo-cote for 3 weeks my scar line is thin as a wrinkle. Yesterday, it was still a little puffy but today when I awoke, I was amazed and wore an open collar to work for the first time.

I have other surgical scars and remember them itching to the point of making me insane. No itching this time.

I priced Kelo-cote with my pharmacist: $15 for a 6 gram tube (sample size). It's a bit expensive, but you're cautioned to use extremely little, per the instructions. I've only just opened the second tube.

One final bit of advice for those scheduled for a similar procedure: bring liquid Tylenol with you to the hospital. I had a horrible headache. My hospital only had tablets and while they could be crushed and put into applesauce, immediately after surgery I was having trouble swallowing my own saliva: applesauce was a distant goal.

All the best to all.

I had a total thyroidectomy, and bilateral neck dissection, the scars are clear, but arent that noticable, the scar is in the shape of a U from my right ear to the bottom of my neck and then to my left ear. I had drainage tubes, and the nurse who came to visit my home was supposed to take them out. She wasnt able so I went to the hospital for it but it wasnt a big deal at all. They took out a stitch from each, but it doesnt hurt. There is nothing at all to worry about.

Hello. haha i"m 14 turning 15 in a couple of days and I had my thyroid taken out in August. I have Thyroid cancer. my mother and family were very scared and wouldnt even tell me i had cancer until recently. my scar is sooo good. you can barely see it at all.sooo small. and if people ask..there stupid and they do not understand. i just ignore them. but you justhave to make sure in the summer you put scar cream other wise the sun will turn the scar DARK brown. but it's fine, the cancer that is doesnt really hurt, it's told to be the best cancer to have because almost always it never comes back. just take your daily pill and you"ll be golden(:

Hey. I have the same story as quite a few people above ^^
I was 15 when I had my hemithyroidectomy (May 2010), because I had found a lump in my right lobe.
Unfortunately I couldn't have a scar in one of my neck creases, because they were too high, so mine is right is the middle of my neck in full view, which is not a good thing for people calling me and asking what have I done.
It's now been 10 months now since my operation and my scar is only a tiny bit pink/red
People rarely notice it now, and it's easy to cover with scarves etc.
Only thing I would say is - don't go out in the sun without covering or protecting it, because it will burn, and it will never fade.

Its amazing to read all these stories. I don't think there is enough awareness about lumps in the neck and how dangerous they can be if not checked by a physician. I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer 3 weeks ago and had a total thyroidectomy done a week ago. I want to peel this glue off my neck so bad its ridiculous! I haven't shut up since I woke up from surgery but i notice my vocal range doesn't have the inflection it used to. I hope it doesn't last forever because my little girl likes when i sing to her. This cancer has become more common over the years and I just had no idea! Thumbs up to all of us and I wish everyone in the futire a speedy recovery!

I just had total thyroid removal surgery and week ago ,I won't lie the drainage tubes did hurt coming out,I was given both a iv and gas to knock me out when I woke up in recovery I had muscle pain from the gas for a few hours but for the most part the surgery isn't as bad you think and my scar isnt nearly as bad looking as I thought it would be

I had a Thyroidectomy on May the 12th, Less than 2 months later I had an appointment with my surgeon on July the 10th and he was amazed to see that my scar is almost none existent. For two months I was using the Dr Max Powers Scar Serum and it worked. The surgeon was surprised and even wrote down the name of the Scar Serum to recommend to his clients.