Who is the oldest living person with hereditary spherocytosis?
What is the prognosis for a post-splenectomized HS patient (given the increased spherocyte fragility) ?
Is there a special diet for HS patients? :-)
What are the prospects for a cure for HS?

Don't know who is the oldest, but my grandmother lived to be 83 without spleen until she died from cancer. No special diet there.

My father has turned 60 last year (spleen gone at 14) and is on no medication whatsoever.

I myself am only 33 ;-) Spleen gone since I was 5. I have no special diet or medication.

It is good to hear that someone lived so long. I am related to a family that has struggled with this disease for many generations. The oldest person there is 52. There are a few post splenectomy problems the most common one being gall stones and weight gain. Gout is another big problem since the spleen is what helps remove uric acid and is now gone.

Heart problems are the biggest killer which is standard for all anemia disorders. There is a type of diet used for this disorder. Most common in Europe. High in iron, calcium, and omega 3 oils and B12. Red meats, Fish, and citrus fruits are the best foods this includes tomatoes. Folic acid is very important to this disorder and comes from leafy vegitables and greens as well as nuts.

The average live span is 35-45 but this is improving all the time and a good diet and holding off on getting spleen out untill after puberty helps.

Hi there,

My bf has HS and is considering having a splenectomy at age 21. He is wondering why you consider it better to have the op done after puberty?

My Grandmother was 91, when she passed of natural causes. Me on the other hand, I was having a Homiletic crises, They had to remove my spleen at the age of 7. I am living a strong and healthy, active life, no medicine was needed after the spleenectomy. I'm 53, I play soccer, I work out. I feel great. Life is good!

My mother is 76 she HS and is doing great without a spleen or gall bladder. My spleen was removed at 2 and my gallbladder at 24. I have had a duct to my pancreas opened after blockage. AT the age of 53 I have a normal life. I've played sports all my life(college football) and have not been slowed down. I have 3 daughters with HS. All 3 have had there spleens removed and one her gallbladder.