Hello, guys. My brother was injured in an accident and it seems that his spleen will have to be removed. I know that one can live without this organ, but I would like to know what the consequences of spleen removal are. I would appreciate if anyone could tell me this.

Hello. You are right. One can live without spleen. However, there will be consequences. Spleen has an important role in removing the old erythrocytes from the bloodstream. It also has a very important role in immune system. The spleen removal is called splenectomy. In any case, your brother can expect that he will fight against infection harder. Old erythrocytes will circulate in the bloodstream. However, some more serious consequences will not be noticeable. You don't need to worry a lot.

I had my spleen removed over 12 years ago and the only "consequence" that Ive noticed is a weak immune system. But there are many vitamins out there that will boost your immune system. No worries

My sister's spleen was removed when she was 6.As time went by she developed many complications in which neuro problems were the main . She was operated twice for a abssess in her brain. After few years of this surgery she developed a critical disease where the impure blood veins mingle with the pure blood veins. She was always most effected by cough, cold, bad stomach and fatigue.In december 2009 she died at the age of 26 as she suffered from double pneumonia and many other problems which also includes internal bleeding.