My gall bladder was removed over 4 years ago due to severe attacks caused by a single stone about the size of a golf ball (have the pictures to prove it - unbelievable!).

My concern, however, is that although the digestive issues haven't been that difficult to deal with (loose bowel occasionally depending on what I eat), I've experienced a steady decline in energy and have noticed some other physical changes, mostly relating to normal functioning . . . lower energy levels, accelerated aging, and decreased cognitive abilities (compared to before the operation).

If anyone can please provide some information concerning how this operation might affect things such as hormone levels (since as I understand, as a novice, hormones are dependent on proper fatty acid synthesis and that removing the gall bladder may affect this process) or nutrient absorbtion, it would be much apprciated. Also, anything you can offer regarding nutritional or dietary adjustments for post surgery patients would be great. Are there any supplements, etc., available that will replace the nutrients lost due to this surgery?

I just want to live normally with the energy levels back to where they were before, or at least close to it. Have a lot left to do with my life.

Best Regards,
Mike H.

Health Advisor
Hi, from what I have been reading (since I hag it removed too), liver can be weakened due to bile accumulation. Since there is no gallbladder to store the bile, it stays in the liver and its production and delivery may be slower than before the surgery.

When the liver is weakened we feel exhausted and without the energy, so this could be your problem. Maybe you should have your liver checked. Weak liver can also cause problems with digestion.

However, problems with digestion could be due to slow bile delivery. Although it is slow delivery, it is continuous and this may cause loose bowels.

I have been avoiding fatty foods and refined carbohydrates even after the surgery. I continued eating foods high in fiber, fruits and vegetables, proteins and haven’t had much problems with digestion.

Maybe you could see a doc, have blood work done, see if you get any results from there and then have your liver checked.

I am having my gall stone removed in 3weeks. last checked it was 3cm in diameter and that was 6 months ago. I have found that over the course of the year while I have been waiting for my operation I have been having the symptoms you described. Low energy, variable stools, and also, easily susceptable to illnesses.

after consulting a nutrionalist I found out that my system was already functioning as if my gall bladder had already been removed. pressure on the liver and the rest of the digestive system causing low absorbtion of nutrients from my diet.

Because of this, I have been learning how to eat healthy and avoiding fatty food, white bread and anything that likes to get stuck in the tracks. Ive lost a lot of weight during this and keeping up with a new rythmn of diet has been exhausting sometimes. but the difference to the pain i used to have is incredible.

My concern is that this general low energy result from a diegstive system under pressure still continue well after surgery. Ive had so many alternative therapists advise me NOT to have it out and to dissolve it (tho i think its too big for that). It is something that is considerably affecting my quality of life, not having the energy to do all the things i want to do. Im only 24 and i feel like and old woman. My question is; are you happy with having your gall bladder removed considering the effects in the long run?

Health Advisor
malex wrote:

I have to say that I am more than satisfied. I haven’t had major complications after the surgery but I pretty much hold on to the diet I used to when I had the stones. I do treat myself from time to time but with such nutrition I am keeping a healthy weight.

I continued with the old diet because I was afraid that my metabolism would slow down because of the slower bile release and I didn’t want to be stuck with bloating, gasses and diarrhea. I did have some diarrhea occasionally at first after the surgery but not anymore.

I would choose to get it out again if I had to. Dissolving stones won’t prevent them from appearing again because they will, it is a well known fact. If you decide to dissolve them, you have yet pregnancy to go through (if you haven’t already), menopause and gallstones are related to hormones, so you are at risk of developing them again.

Considering you have so many problems with your gallbladder now and the gallstones, I reckon you would do much better without it. Then again, I am not a doctor and can’t say what it would be best for your individual situation.

I've been suffering for over seven years. My gall bladder was removed and it helped a bit but it did not alleviate the other pains. After seven years and many, many doctors, my blood was test for many issues including arthritis and vitamin D deficiencies.

My vitamin D levels were so low that the doctor had me take a supplement of 1000 IUCs, 400 is the average adult dosage. After doing a search I found that vit d helps the body ingest calcium among other things.

After taking vit D for a few months, I've noticed my skin is tighter. My joints do not hurt anywhere what they did. My nails and teeth feel stronger and whiter. My hair does not look old, dry and brittle.

I haven't had but a little bit of discomfort in my stomach. Now I just have to figure out how am I going to lose the 50 pounds I've gained. It seems my metabolism is shot it does not matter what I try to lose the weight. I went from a size 7 to to 14 and I'm so frustrated. If anyone has any ideas please, please let me know.

Thanks!

I too have been suffering to the point it is effecting my daily life.
I had my g/b out 7 years ago. I have persistant diareha. You would think with all the pooping I do I would be thin, but nooooooo. I have gained weight. A couple of years ago I had a coloscopy and everything was fine.
I am very excited about the Questran andI am goping to call my doctor today. I do find I do much better on a high protein diet but nothing takes away the diareha. I wish someone had told me there would be these dramatic side effects sooner. I have probably spent thousands on Immodiam AD.

I too had my Gall bladder removed about six months ago.
It was kind of unexpected, I suddenly got horrible 'heart burn' one night that persisted for five hours before my husband drove me to the hospital.
When the doctor did the scan and showed me the gall stones I couldn't believe it, I was only twenty and I had always heard that Gall Stones/ Gall Bladder removal is for elderly people (No offense).

None the less, they removed my gall bladder ( which was filled with fifteen pellet sized stones).
For months afterwards I couldn't do the type of excercise I was accustomed to. Running especially, my innards felt like they were shifting everywhere.

I've noticed that I am often drained of energy now, and that I've gained weight.
Before, I had a very good metabolism, and now... I gain weight over any silly thing.
Its very disheartening.

But, thanks to this forum, I have an idea of what it is that is causing it.
:-)
( I hadn't even thought about the bile thing)

Luckily, I haven't experienced the loose bowels or intolerence to alchohol.
This constant fluctuating weight thing is kind of bothering me though.

A lesson this whole ordeal has taught me?
Drink water.
Lots of water.
The Doctor said if I had maintained a recommended 8 8oz glasses of water a day, my Gall bladder would've been fine.
Hopefully nothing else fails me :-)

I had my gallbladder removed 20 years ago. I had just finished college, I am a GUY, and like many others I suddenly started to have the most horrible heart burn. However because I was a guy I went to the doctors for months and always went home with the same diagnosis...you are eating too much spicy food. I even became extremely jaundiced (sp?)...I was YELLOW, and still the doctors didn't have a clue.

Finally one night at 3 in the morning I went to the hospital and I wasn't going to leave until someone told me what was wrong with me and low and behold a nurse, working that night shift, asked me a few questions and told me it sounded like I had gall stones. A quick scan of my tummy and sure enough I was full of stones.

However back then they gutted you like a fish to remove the gall stone, and I've lived with a 7 inch scar right down the middle of my stomach. But problem solved, or so I thought.

Wrong - and this is the problem and I think I'm hearing the same thing from people on here.

There is no follow up treatment to clearly explain to people the long-term effects of having one's gallbladder removed. You've heard a lot of them here, but with time they do get worse. I've managed through them and have had a pretty normal life, but my digestion system is not what it should be, and as one gets older it does get worse. I've recently began having serious stomach pain, which the doctor says is irratiable bowel symdrome. It probably is, but I have no doubt it also has to do with the fact that I've gone 20 years without a gall bladder.

I have no had prolems with gaining weight, but I have had unusual displacement of where the weight ends up...i.e. skinny legs, more fat around the tummy, and just feel bloated almost every time I eat.

Do not let any doctor tell you, especially if you are younger, that having your gallbladder removed won't affect the quality of your life. That is a lie.

However, you have to do what you have to do, and my gallbladder had to go.

I think the medical community really needs to start focusing more effort on the long-term effects of living without a gallbladder, and give people more information on how to deal with your diet after it's removed.

I had my gallbladder removed when I was 25 years old (10 years ago). I had stones in my gall bladder and my bile duct so had two separate surgeries.

I was meant to go for keyhold surgery but ended up with a huge 12cm scar across the bottom of my ribs (apparently my gall bladder was so infected it was hard to remove by keyhole - sure .....). But I still wear a bikini, it is my reminder of how bad I treated my body in the past.

I am angry at myself for not listening to my body around 20 years old when I had my first gall bladder attack, not knowing what the attack was I ignored it then it didn't happen again for another year or so, but then it got more frequent, then unbearable attacks.

I wish I could tell teenagers/adults my story, don't drink and don't eat lots of fast foods because it does catch up on you. Until late teens I was very active outdoors and happy, then partied hard in my late teens/early 20's and not eating well and not resting enough and definitely not exercising enough.

After my gall bladder removal I definitely felt a lot of relief internally but have struggled to keep my weight down and has taken quite a few years to find out what works better for me.

I recommend to anyone who has gall bladder removal - it happens for a reason, your body isn't being treated properly! So - exercise, do relaxation, eat more veggies and fruit and protein, less dairy and definitely no fats and minimize alcohol, your body it telling you something! I think there is no excuse that you feel bloated and putting on weight, I have lived it and know that you can put on weight easily so just look after your body, it is a gift.

I get a sore/tired feeling where my liver is (under the right ribs) when I am needing some rest or not eating properly/stressed! I find that is my sign to slow down (I have 2 young boys!) and remember to look after myself because it just gets worse and worse and I can catch any bugs going around or get cranky easier.

I hope my story helps someone! :-D

I had my gall bladder removed a month ago at the age of 19. My nurse and other members at the hospital told me to return to a normal diet, however, my consultant advised a very very low fat diet, avoiding red meat and exchange carbonated drinks for lots of water, as not having a gall bladder reduces the digestion of fats! I took this advice strictly and also research other recommended diets online.
I have lost a 21lbs and feel so much more healthier.
I realize i'm only a month in, not really long term but this has allowed me to change my lifestyle, having gained weight due to gall stones. A definite turning point!

My situation is like the first comment. I had my removal done when I was 22 years old and I am now 35. I did experience Diareah and loos Bowell. In time it will get better. Believe it or not extra Fiber will help with that just as it will with the hard Stools. The doctors say that you dont need the Gallbladder which we all know is obviously Bull c**p. Weight gane has only been an issue since I lost my Gallbladder. High proteins and lower fat with extra fiber is the ticket for me, but dont be fooled be the high fiber food, its not enough. Buy ground Flax seed and/or Bran and add it to your food as a regular practice. if you just sprinkle about 1/2 teaspoon of it in your foods it shouldnt change the taist and/or consistency.

i had my gallbladder removed a month ago and im only 21. im not feeling too good since. always feel tired and stomach feels really weird after ive eaten. not sure what to do. ive also put on weight!! which websites did you find the diets on? i could really do with some info which the doctors haven't provided me with at all! i wish doctors would explain in full depth the consequences long term of the procedures they carry out. the after care is appalling. i guess they make the assumption we all know just coz they do! :-(

I had my gall bladder removed the old fashioned way about 20 years ago. I live a normal life in most ways. I can eat just about any food without problems. At first, I had issues with diarrhea but then I started using digestive enzymes and that helped a lot. I buy them from the Vitamin Shoppe. They're called Multi-Enzymes. One a day helped me at first but now I take them occasionally when I over-eat. I do have issues with fatigue but I suspect its something in my diet that bothers me or maybe the result of loss of my gall bladder. I don't have a problem with my weight but maybe its because I avoid all processed foods. I eat meat, dairy, veggies, fruit, nuts, etc. No junk food or anything out of a box. Fried foods do not go down well.

I have been all over the internet reading about gall bladders. You would think I would have something better to do. I had my gall bladder removed when I was 18 years old 38 years ago. I also had the knife as the removal tool. I had no idea what a gall bladder was let alone know what the surgery entailed, however, I would have died if the thing wasn't removed as I had large gall stones the size of Cocoa Puffs as my grandmother put it; and infection. I had run to the hospital at least once every two weeks for nearly two years and they would shoot me with morphine that didn't help one bit, the pain was still there but I was too doped up to complain about it. So really had gall stones when I was 15 or 16. At the time my doctor told me I was the youngest person he had ever diagnosed with this. I see many posts now that are from very young people and in fact my own son at the age of 23 had to have his removed. I am sure that it has to do with the diet we are now subjecting our stomachs too. For all of you who have just had surgery it does not get better, and I hope that someone finds something to make it better. I don't care what anyone tells you...if you take a part out of your body something is going to suffer. Remember when tonsils and adenoids where removed with no thought at all? Well they say the tonsils and adenoids are not needed ... false, now they won't take either out unless you have a long history of problems. I just look at it like this, everything in my body must have a reason to be there cause I don't think we have spare parts. I take my car to get it fixed and when they fix it something else breaks so is this not what happens to our body as well? I have had all kinds of symptoms after the surgery. One that is most prevalent is the eating and running to the bathroom. Now you would think if you eat and then do a 2 minute jog to the potty you would not be gaining weight ... which leads me to symptom 2 ... weight gain and not only that; it's weight that seems to be centered over the spot where the freaking gall bladder was removed. Mid-stomach area. It is uncomfortable when you sit, lay down and it feels just like someone stuck a bunch of wood under your ribs. I haven't felt this way since I had kids and I know all you woman know what it feels like to have a kids foot under your rib cage! This is the same feeling only worse. Symptom 3 and this one is the strangest of all ... sometimes when I grab for something and use my stomach muscles I feel like someone took a pair of pliers and pulled my guts out, it's like something dropping from my ribs to my lower stomach and the pain is horrible. I was told this is a muscle spasm around the surgery ... WHAT is that about? Symptom 4 at times I feel like I can't get up, I get depressed and tired to the bone, so tired it hurts if that is possible and I believe it has to do with my liver after having a few blood tests reveal that it is not working well, I don't drink much so I haven't fried my liver. I have a lot of muscle and joint pains that keep me from doing certain types of workouts. My vitamin D is almost non existent again this may cause the tired feelings too. Year after year I keep thinking it's going to get better but year after year it gets worse and worse. If I keep going I will be a puddle of doo doo in another few years. Doctors will not or cannot give me help so I really don't understand why they would take something out unless they knew how to give a person some kind of quality of life. Yes the pain was bad when I had the attacks but at least the in between times I was normal. Anyone who says that your life does not change after this surgery is a nut case ... just imagine only having one of these symptoms, the most common, stomach dropping ... I have totally stopped going out to eat because of the embarrassment of running to the bathroom and waiting until everyone leaves in order not to scare them all away with the explosion and waiting makes your eyes pop out and the pain is excruciating to say the least. Just imagine you can never go anywhere and eat without this happening. It's not always just food that does it either like when I first had the surgery, now it could happen if a drink a glass of juice or even water so it has gotten worse. If I knew then what I know now I think I would rather have been put out of my misery.

hey guys,
i am a bit different then the replies I have been hearing. I had an eating disorder for 5 years and that caused the multiple gallstones. I got it removed over a year ago and I haven't had any distinct discomforts. I produce bile atleast twice a day and I am so much better then I was before the stones. I conquered my disorder and I am hearty and healthy now. I am the same size as I was before and I have worked to eat slower, (as the removal of the gallbladder does shrink your appetite) and therefore shrink my appetite. I do some form of work out everyday and I have to say life is great. Of course, it does take more work, of course, BUT, it has only made my self respect grow and my health sky rocket.
The only reason I camer here today was to check up on the whole alcohol thing and see how it affects the liver. I want to be cautious in that area.
Thanks and best of luck!