what is involved in a splenectomy and how long is the recovery?

hi,

I have just had my spleen removed due to Hereditary Spherocytosis.
My surgeon had hoped to remove it laproscopically, but due to the spleen being enlarged I ended up having an open spleenectomy.
So what happens on day of surgery is that you go to the hospital, check in, change into a gown. the nurse will start an IV and give you some medications to settle your stomach to reduce the chance of nausea. then they will give you something to calm your nerves and you will be taken into the operating room. Once in there you will be places under general anesthesia, meaning you will be completely asleep and not remember anything at all. The surgeon will start the operation, by clamping off all of the veins to the spleen, and then he will remove it and staple your incisions closed. If the surgery is laproscopic you will likely go home in a couple of days, the recovery is very easy compared to the open procedure which will have you down for a couple of weeks. I had mine removed 11 days ago, am going tomorrow to have staples removed, still in some pain, but it is managable.

Best wishes, don't worry, you will be fine.