I am mother of disabled 10 months old son. After having two ultrasounds performed on his liver, kidneys, abdomen and scrotum, it was discovered that he had been born without a gallbladder. So far the doctors are not worried and they told me that I shouldn’t be either. He is on a special formula for now. Have anyone f you ever heard of a baby without a gallbladder? If so, what is the outcome?

I too was born without gallbladder. I remember that my mom told me that she took me to the hospital because of a gallbladder attack during the surgery; they discovered there was nothing to remove. When they told to my mom that her baby doesn’t have gallbladder, she fainted. That particular surgeon almost killed me because he did not see that the pressures of my bile duct were so severe, luckily I went to a gastroenterologist that was able to diagnose me correctly. He performed an ercp and put a stent in my ducts to open them up. 2 months later had to have another to remove the stent. I have had no problems with my stomach after this.

i was born without one also. i was getting a lot of pain in my stomach and i got diagnosed with gallbladder disease.. i went for surgery and it turns out i was missing both my gallbladder and my bile ducts.

My baby was born without a gall bladder she is not even a few weeks old...
they say she could have something called billyarieatresia and if this is true they have to do surgery on her..
The surgery only works 1/3 of the time is what i was told...
The doctors are telling me babies born without a gall bladder that carry this disease will pass away in less than three months...
i would really like to talk to some parents who have the same problems with their children..
she is going in for the nuclear dye test also and they have her on some certain medication to tell them whether or not the liver is "digesting" the bile or what ever it does with the bile..
I am scared to death for my babies life... please someone with the same problem respond so i can talk with you... this is so hard for us

Just as the previous messaege stated....my cousin who is just 1 month old is in really bad condition...she was born very healthy but after a few weeks she jot jaundice and then she started to look very sick...after a series of tests and spending more than a week in the hospital..doctors realised that she was born without the "tube" (correct me if im wrong) that links the liver to the stomach...this is what sends the nutrients to the body, i believe, "bile duct"..she has grown weaker and octers say she has a 50/50 chance of surviving. IS THERE ANONE OUT THERE WHO HAS HAD THE SURGERY FOR THIS AND SURVIVED?? It's really hard, and we just want to have some more hope.thank yo so much for reading this.

hope all goes well.

hi i am a new mother my son is 2 1/2 months old and at seven weeks he had surgery for billyarieatresia, which he was born without his gallbladder he is doing great now the only thing is his liver is not working right but this 1st surgery has worked great so dont be scared just have hope it is a scary thing but they do make it through it is a rough surgery and doctors do not like to preform it on babies who are over 8 weeks old because it may not work at all you should consult another doctor if you feel like you are not getting the right answers. my son goes to childrens hospital of brimingham and it is a wonderful hospitial our surgeon is one of the top in the usa.

I was born without a gall bladder, Im 54yrs old, I didn't know until I was 21yrs old was getting sick and they took me in the hospital for a gallbladder operation and opened me up and no gall bladder but I had gall stones in a sack. They had never heard of this before. For 20yrs I was still sick, my body continued to produced gall stones on a regular basis without a gall bladder. They would go whereever go where ever they wanted to.I would get pancreatis,liver problems & now I have Diabetes. The Cleveland Clinic did surgery on me to help the stones leave my body so
I wouldn't be in pain every day of my life. That lasted for 9yrs now the stones are launching again and I have to have more test done to see if something closed up. I was born at 7 months and weighed 2 1/2 lbs so my gall bladder never developed. I feel for anyone that is going through this problem. Im in Ohio and I have been to many,many doctors and no one knew how to treat my problem. Cleveland Clinic saved my sanity .

my baby was born with two gallbladders does anyone else know of this happening

I found out today that my youngest child, which is 16 years old has two gall bladders. The Nuclear Tech said the next step would be to take a CT Scan. Her regular doctor wasn't in his office this afternoon. She has been complaining about side and back pains in the liver area. So I am curious if one is working and if the other one is defective. After doing the Hida Scan, which shows only one, her number was 81% working which is really good. But the Ultra Sound shows clear as day two gall bladders with the bile ducts.

I had a problem with my bladder, so I am not potty trained. That way, I have to wear diapers, even when I'm in college.

Hi I realize this is an old thread, but wanted to share my sons story with you all... His name is Denim and he's almost 2, ***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed is his website. Denim has Biliary Atresia.

My sister doesn't have a gallbladder she was born like that. She's now 35years old and i got told if i wanted i could have mine removed as well. You don't really need it, but i guess it's different for everyone as well. My sister has 4 kids and she's never been diagnosed with anything over the years. She was at one time but grew out of it quickly.

I was born without a gallbladder as was my grandmother.  I am presently 52 and have had a few issues with it being non-existent over the years...mainly bloating/gas issues. I did not learn that I didn't have a gallbladder until I was in my early 20's.  I learned to eat a diet that is very low in fat content and also gluten free products help with the bloating issues I had.  Once I changed my diet I have had no problems with my lack of a gallbladder.  My naturopathic doctor has me on a tablet called Cholacol by Standard Process, this is a bile salt product.  When I take the Cholacol regularly I have absolutely no problem :-)  I hope my comments help those who have questions.

I was born without a gall bladder at the age of55 had terrible pain and had the op to remove gall bladder only to find there was no gall bladder but a badly infected appendix. I am now 74 and had no other problems with my digestion and no change of diet. Everything in moderation.