they call it a suicide shift?

Of course my son and his friend were rolling on the ground laughing, after my white knuckle ride of terror.

I started my antique motorcycle for the first time on Sunday. It started right up and so I figred what the heck..go for a ride right? :(

Well a bike this old has a foot operated rocker clutch, and no front brake.

I was OK starting off, and while the clutch was mid way in start gear, everything was hunky dory, then I hit a bump and the shift went into high gear... :umno: I was rocketing along a grass covered right-of-way complete with dips and bumps, at around 45mph.

My son said I had a look of abject terror on my face as I could not get all three activites to stop the bike coordinated in that state of mind...so I opened the compression release and killed the engine.

After a little practice, I started to get the hang of how to operate everything. Now mind you I grew up in a house where my Dad rode the old Indian Motorcycles, and I used to ride dirt bikes...but this was a whole new experience.

I think Alia's helmet rule just came into play 8O

The bike is now quietly resting in the shed until I get the "stones" to try this again.. :?

What a heck of a start to a Sunday :P

And no I was not a-skeered...I was ummm...concerned...

edited to fix the umpteen spelling and grammer errors that Alia found.

Ranger

Glad your okay.

Could have been a lot worse.

You just gave me my first of the day. Not so much what you posted, but that you had the "stones" to share it with the likes of us.

I love it. Although that picture you put in my head when you unknowingly shifted into high gear was pretty funny.

Above all, I'm glad you are ok and we can just chuckle about it today. I'm glad it worked out and you are safe.

I wouldn't even begin to know what kind of flowers to send you to your hospital room

I like these kinds of stories....

Glad your okay. Could have been a lot worse.
Almost was...on my bicycle that is.. I was riding my 1938 Huffman Aeroflyte bike on Saturday. I came to my street and signaled a left turn..ya know, hand signal..and a kid in a hopped up Honda car came racing around me in the left lane just as I was turning into my street..almost took me out. He was speeding to boot. But he did take the time to hand signal to me that I was #1 1 hot rod Honda car + 1 16-20 year old kid = "Danger Will Robinson...Danger" Do they still teach what bike and motorcycle hand signals mean to regular drivers anymore? Sheesh.. :(

I think people only recognize one hand signal these days and you only need one finger.

I think this would be obvious.

Forget-me-nots.

OK, repeat after me...

Helmet good, concussions bad.

and:

Its better to be a live weenie than a dead macho man...

Are they different than car hand signals? When I rode a bicycle in the middle of the last century we used the same as car signals. Of course hand signals were more common then as laws requiring electric signals on cars were just being instituted so there were still a lot of cars without them.

Wish I coulda seen that ride...