Tell me how to get started.

Little money and used seems to be the way to go for me.

What do I look for?

What do I need?

What can I get by on?

I'd buy an old bike off of one of y'all if you have one to unload.

Whatever you do, buy the right size!
Go to Domenic's in Tempe & have them fit you for a bike even if you're "just looking"

What do you want to do? If it is just an occasional ride, a hybrid or hardtail MTB will be just fine.

The only thing I can add to this is my opinion. Find a bike you lie, then save you money and buy a bike that is better then what you liked.

Supergo is havng an awesome sale on bike right now. A road bike with all 105 components for 700 bucks. Or an Ultegra 10 speed for 1200.

If it were me, I'd scrape up whatever I could and go for the Ultegra bike. You much more likley to ride because you know you spent the bucks and you'll like the ride better because it is better.

Sheldon

I could go with a decent bike for a nice price, I'm sure. Once I commit to something I do it. That's the one thing about me that's a give and my drive in life is goal driven like that.
What are your feelings on used bikes?
I'll have to look up these bikes that you talk of.
I was amazed at what imgomer was showing me with frame differences, the materials used to make the bike, petals...when seeing hers.

Having the competitive-runner-mentality that you have, I would recommend to go with a road bike. Mountain or hybrid bicycles are going to leave you wishing for want to ride faster. Being able to chew up miles on a lightweight road bike in short order is what I'm reading between the lines. I've already pm'd you some ideas, but thought I'd put out a post that really, getting fully equipped with a used decent road bike and new shoes, pedals & helmet can easily be done under $400 total. I've done it myself