My run this morning was in total darkness and fog, not even the usual hint of dawn. I've been thinking about a light, or a flashlight to carry.

Any recommendations out there?

I've seen lots of different things.

Lights on hats, vests with lights, etc...

When I was in Basic Training, we ran with our flashlights in our hands every morning. It wasn't so bad.

I found I can look on rei.com for different lights.
If I ran with a flashlight I could at least have a weapon in my hand.

I kept thinking I was going to run into a stray cow or a dumb deer on the road this morning...or trip over a skunk.

I tried running with a Petzel once (it's a small powerful flashlight you can clip to a hat or a headband) but I found the bouncing gave me motion sickness.
I have run with a flashilight in my hand before.

I use a reflective vest.

I am a weapon. 8)

Petzls are awesome. I used a Petzl headlamp while backpacking and that was it.

I used the Petzl for a while, but after I started having problems I switched to a Princeton-Tec Aurora. Also a very small LED headlamp, powered by AAA batteries.

Been 100% reliable so far (aside from me dropping it at a night race and losing the batteries ).

You do mean for you to see, or to be seen? If the former, the head/cap device sounds like the way to go. I've tried once or twice (tops) with a flashlight, and that made for real slow going.

THESE PETZLS ARE MAKING ME THIRSTY!!!
Sorry ... I had to ...

I use the Beamer light from my bike. It's really small and light, and it has a flashing light option as well. I see rather well with it, and the batter life is really good.

Plus, they're cheap. I think mine was about $12.

I wear a reflective vest and I picked up an LED headlamp at Radioshack for $10.00. I use it both to be seen and to help see. To conserve battery life, I set it to flash and surprisingly it doesn't bother me and it definitely has helped me avoid some potholes and other road hazards.

It's not the brightest (neither am I) but the price is sure hard to beat and I feel much more secure with a little light. I've used it about 5 hours and still haven't had to change the batteries.

reflective vest and reflective running gear.

I use a reflective vest with LED's imbedded into it to be seen. Are you looking to see with or be seen by?

i also use a LED headlamp om my helmet for skate/bike purposes, not the brightest thing out there (just like me) but it comes with a lanyard for running too, it has a steady and flashing mode.

I have the same question as to seeing or being seen.

I used to wear illuminite to be seen and decided I liked being not seen when I was by myself running in the dark. Many drivers were confused by the lights and reflection and would drive on high beams right at me. I decided to go dark when I passed a guy running in complete dark and me lite up like a christmas tree on the other side and car coming down his path swerved toward me :umno:

Gosh, why not just carry one of those tiny LED lights. You can stick it in your pocket when the sun comes out (even the so-called pocket that's sewn into the seam of most shorts will do).