What could cause High Blood Pressure after surgery. I am on Blood Pressure medicine and I take it every evening before I go to bed.
I had recently had a lateral sphincterotomy for some really bad fissures that I had and when I wake up in the morning, my blood pressure is about 185/111. This morning it was 165/101. It seems to go down when the pain subsides, but I am afraid that I am going to have a stroke or heart attack if I can't get this under control.

I see my family doctor today about the blood pressure, but I can't understand what pain has to do with the blood pressure, when I am taking blood pressure medicine. Hopefully there wasn't something in the spincter muscle that controls the blood pressure.
I am just scared. Has anyone else had a problem like this?

Hannigan

Hi Hannigan, high blood pressure can be caused by stress, which is more than likely what you're experiencing after surgery. After all, it can be a very traumatic experience for the body! Can you tell me what your doctor says about this? I'm very curious. Thanks!

My Doctor said that my blood pressure can definately rise due to the stress from surgery and other stresses in my life. With the medications for pain and anestisia and ibuprophin definately can raise blood pressure. He gave me another blood pressure medicine to go along with what I am already taking and told me to watch it over the next few weeks and I need to see him again. I am not taking my pain medicine, because it upsets my stomach.

My surgeon just prescribed me a steroid pack to take for 6 days to help with inflamation and I was concerned about that, but my family doctor said that it is only for a short period of time and it should be ok for me to take. I worry alot about putting medicine in me that has so many side effects. I try to cure one problem, but create another problem from the side effects.

Hannigan

jasman....we seem to be in the same boat.....i have been on blood pressure medicine for several years......it never got over 150/95..yet after i had shoulder surgery..it shot up to 221/114..i called my doctor..he told me to double up my medicine...i did..my blood pressure went own to 150/90....the next morning it was back up ..i believe that the sleeping pill i told that nite off-set the blood pressure medicine..i am not a doctor but that is the only change to my diet i made that nite...may the best come to you take care jasman warren mi

I have never had trouble with blood pressure. In fact it has always been on the low side. I had shoulder surgery 10 days ago and it has been high ever since. It is 180/103 even while resting. I do have a lot of pain and no medication has helped. The only thing that helped was Aleve but it is a week today since I took one dose. My GP says that my BP is high due to that but I cannot believe that one week later it is still because of that. I worry because she did not give me medication for the BP