Hello. I'm 25 year old male and I would like to find out more about one thing. Just recently I have seen some terrible pictures of one skin disease called Acantosis nigricans!
You can't imagine how terrible all this looks like. Anyway, if I understood right- Acantosis nigricans represent some kind of skin tumor and supposedly- there is no cure for it.
Please tell me more about it because I'm very scared.
I've heard that also young people can develop it and that’s why- I can't stop thinking about it.
If anyone is maybe more familiar with it- please tell me more about it!

Hello. I'm a medical student and that’s why I'm familiar with some facts about this “tumor” you were talking about! I don’t mind sharing all the details with you.
You see, Acantosis nigricans is not considered to be some special kind of tumor at all, although, in most cases it can be found simultaneously with some other tumor in body!
What happens with the skin. You see, predominant skin change is hyperkeratosis and skin on affected regions is very dark and that makes this disorder very easy to recognize. Like you already assumed- there is no cure for now but the only good thing about all this is that this disorder is extremely rare!

Acanthosis nigricans:
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Acanthosis nigricans is a brown to black, poorly defined, velvety hyperpigmentation of the skin, usually present in the posterior and lateral folds of the neck, the axilla, groin, umbilicus, and other areas.

Causes

This occurs due to insulin spillover (from excessive production due to obesity or insulin resistance) into the skin which results in its abnormal growth, and the stimulation of color producing cells (melanocytes).

The most common cause would be insulin resistance, usually from type 2 diabetes mellitus.

Other causes are familial, obesity, drug-induced, malignant (gastric cancer), idiopathic, and Polycystic ovary syndrome. In the context of a malignant disease, Acanthosis nigricans is a paraneoplastic syndrome and is then commonly referred to as Acanthosis nigricans maligna. Involvement of mucous membranes is rare and suggests a coexisting malignant condition. It typically occurs in individuals younger than age 40, may be genetically inherited, and is associated with obesity or endocrinopathies, such as hypothyroidism or hyperthyroidism, acromegaly, polycystic ovary disease, insulin-resistant diabetes, or Cushing's disease. When seen in individuals older than age 40, this disorder is commonly associated with an internal malignancy, usually adenocarcinoma, and most commonly of the GI tract or uterus; less commonly of the lung, prostate, breast, or ovary. Acanthosis nigricans of the oral mucosa or tongue is highly suggestive of a neoplasm, especially of the GI tract.

Signs and tests

Physicians can usually diagnose acanthosis nigricans by simply looking at a patient's skin. A skin biopsy may be needed in unusual cases. If no clear cause of acanthosis nigricans is obvious, it may be necessary to search for one. Blood tests, an endoscopy, or x-rays may be required to eliminate the possibility of diabetes or cancer as the cause.

Treatment

People with acanthosis nigricans should be screened for diabetes and, although rare, cancer. Controlling blood glucose levels through exercise and diet often improves symptoms.

Prognosis

Acanthosis nigricans often fades if the underlying cause can be determined and treated appropriately.

im a 31 yearold female and had a strange and growing red line on my lower eyelid.after a biopsy i was told i had acanthosis.that was in may this is august.i am not over weight.no other tests have been done.just was told thats what you have and that was that should i be concerned.
8-|