Hi, my daughter who is 23 years old has problems with facial hair. She has hair below chin and above upper lip; she has a lot of hair on her arms and legs as well. She has acne on her face too, especially between chin and mouth. I heard that this could be result of hormone imbalance. If there is someone with some experience about this, any information would be appreciated.

My daughter had the same problem with facial hair. It’s really unpleasant to see hair on the face of a woman, when esthetic appearance is so important today (she meets many people on her job). After, she determined the level of testosterone, which was increased, the doctor recommended treatment with Diane -35, the birth control pill with effect opposite to testosterone. Really, her facial hair was gone, but because she started to gain weight the treatment was stopped. By curing facial hair, she was making another one-obesity.
The other option was to remove hair forever, by permanent epilation. Permanent epilation can be done by laser; without blood or pain by exposing small areas of the skin. Electrolysis is another method used in this purpose, but it causes some pain (like a mosquito bite). After laser permanent epilation she has no more facial hair. This treatment is expensive, but compared with taking drugs with many side effects for the rest of your life, it’s worth the money.

What color hair did your daughter have, because I was told that it may not work on red toned hair.

i have paid tons of money and still have facial hair. laser was joke. it was painful and after a year, i had even more hair. electrolysis worked but it darkened that area of skin permanently and damaged it. also, i tried about 10 electrologists util i finally found one that did the job. very expensive too. sad but true...we do not have many options. i am back to waxing.

I have been dealing with facial hair for about five years. I have tried everything such as electrology, laser, shaving ,pucking and waxing. However nothing seems to work, latley I haven't did any thing but clip it with scissors. I wish it was something I could do because I'm tired of I the stares and people always talking about the way I look. Sometimes I wish I had someone to talk to it about that truly understood how I feel. My name is Brandy and my number is *****

**this post is edited by moderator ** private e-mails not allowed **

I have experienced electrolysis which can take a while; you
have to be committed and go regularly. I had a managable amount of
hair, however, I waxed it young and I do not think that this helped. Actually,
I am pretty certain that it damaged the follicles of fine hair (which did
not need to be removed) in addition to the ones being removed. I would
not recommend waxing the face.

Electrolysis definitely worked for me I continue to get a few hairs here and there, but everyone does. So, instead of plucking them, I cut them and make a 15 min. electrolysis appt. every 4 sometime 6 months. They are not noticeable.

I had laser hair removal on upper lip. This worked so well for me. The
hair was decreased after one treatment. I had 4 paid sessions which
took less than one minute each and received 4 free. I will go for my
second free one maybe before summer if I have a few hairs. I will tell
you that I started the laser 3 years ago and have not found a need, for
me anyway, to go often between treatments. I am going to laser
my legs this spring and can't wait. I have an olive complexion and tan
easily. The laser that was used on me was a Candela-GentleLase, and
I went to a Dr. office.

I just wanted to share my experience with those of you who feel as
though there is not a resolution for the problem. Sometime you just
have to be persistent with treatment (this is assuming that there is
not a hormonal problem). Good Luck to you.

I share your frustration. I initially had very little hair on my face but the more things I tried to get rid of it the worse it became. I have just left it now. But it is really frustrating and there seems to be no real solution. I have also been having laser treatment for my acne and I think that may be stimulating the hair growth. Dont know what to do with bad skin and facial hair.

i can't believe how many people are commenting negatively on laser
hair removal. i am just really surprised. for someone who had an
above average hair problem, i have had wonderful results. I really
hate to see some of you give up on this. you really have to research
the centers that perform the treatment. i have only had treatment
at centers where there is a dr. in-house. i believe that many states
do not require medical background or other important education or
training to perform services. i am curious as to which states the
negative results are occuring in. i have not been to a facility in pa
that did not have a dr., and i have been to a 2 different centers and
they both worked great.

I've heard you should try homeopathic medicine. There safe with no side effects. They say to try OLEUM JACORIS ASELLI 3X daily three doses continue for 3-6 month. A close friend of mine actually had the laser done for hair removal, and she said you have to go in multiple times to get hair free. The catch is, if you get pregnant, or if there is a hormonal inbalance or difference in your system the hair will come back. I'm assuming this is why it works for some, and not for others. Also there are hormones in certain foods which can also through off your system.

My age is about 20 years but still i don't have facial hair. I feel very ashamed in between my friends and in college. Pllzzzzzzz solve my problem.

I can relate to many of you with the issue of facial hair. I have hair on my my chin and upper lip and it has been a source of anxiety for me since I was about 20. (q5 years ago) I have spent zillions of hours it seems like plucking with tweezers. I have always thought that I couldn't afford laser treatments because they would be too expensive. Recently I ordered a product called Smooth Legs that is supposed to be painless and effective. Basically it's sand paper that will sand away the hair and sluff off dead skin cells at the same time. I'm not happy with this product and advise anyone who tries this to do so with caution! I'm walking around today with severe "sand paper burn" on my chin and upper lip. OUCH! 8-|

i am 38 now and have had facial hair since 1 was 26.Iam heart broken about this and do not no what to do next.I have tryed laser epilite and electrolisis And none of them have worked for me . the hair is dark and course so can be seen if not shaven every day . i am so upset over this this that i have attempted to burn my face . and i no its extreme but i have conciderd killing my self cause i am so ashamed.IF Any one out there can give me some advice please do. :(

i am 18 years old and i have been diagnosed with PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome) about 2 years ago.
i had thick dark facial hair from my neck to the sides of my face. After going on birth control (progesterone and estrogen) due to the higher amount of testosterone levels in my body.
i started laser treatments and they were a big expensive, but not too horrible. Ive probably over gone 15 plus treatments. After the first treatment i saw results right away. the hair was thinner and most easy to deal with. Thing is you cant bleach it or pluck it and you can only shave it during treatments. it was tough but it helped. and now that im not doing treatments the hair is thinner but still dark.i bleach it but its easier to deal with than it used to be.

if someone had less hair than me i think it would be very beneficial. and ever if you had as much as me.. its still worth it. its better in the end. atleast for me.

its worth a try, especially considering no women ever wants hair on their face.

15 laser treatments is a lot, it is time to find a competent electrologist. Both laser and electrolysis work, but not in all cases. Laser is only for DARK hair on LIGHT skin. Really, not even a tan on the area to be treated. Electrolysis is for smaller areas; red, blond, gray, or light hair; and areas where it is too dangerous for laser such as underneath the eyebrow.

There are also topical treatments such as Vaniqua that, again, may or may not work in each case. Once you stop using it the hair will come back.

Do your research before you start anything.

hey i have searched a lot and dint find any solution to my problem..
m on medications,m taking aldactone 25mg two times a day
will it help????
i hv gone through lasers 15tms and found not much effect..hair got thinner but more prominent :-( help me out????