Hello everyone, My daughter has type 2 diabetes and her doctor tell her she has insulin resistance. I'm a worried mum. I don't think she is taking this seriously. I'm not sure exactly what insulin resistance is but I know that when she takes her insulin it is not working so well. My daughter is very over weight and I'm wondering if that has anything to do with it. I've trying to get her to lose weight but so are she hasn't. I'm not sure how to help her at this point. Does any one have any suggestions. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hello, Insulin resistance can happen with time and a number of type 2 diabetes individuals have this problem. What it means is that your daughter is making insulin (but not enough) and her cells are not responding to what she is making and not responding to the meds she is taking. Being over weight contributes to this. She needs to lose weight to increase her insulin sensitivity. You'll need to sit down and have a good talk with her to explain this to her. She absolutely needs to lose the weight. She probably needs to talk with her diabetes manager or doctor to find out what diet she needs to be on to lose weight. She'll need to cut back on her calories. Chances are she'll need to cut back by 500 Calories or even more. Cutting back on her carb intake will help. She might want to try Dr. Bernstein's diet that takes in 30 grams of carbs a day. She need to eat lean protein and good fats and probably stay under 1200 Calories for the day. Along with a very strict diet she will need to exercise more. I suggest at least an hour each day. The best form of exercise to burn the most calories is bike riding or aerobic exercises. These types of exercise require the least amount of stamina and are easy to do.