Why does around the menopause time some women experienced increased facial hair. How does menopause affecting facial hair. My friend has this problem. She is only few years older than I am, so I can say I am close menopause. Can I prevent this?

I remember that girls in my high school had facial hair problem and they weren’t even close to menopause. Usually, unwanted hair growth begins in the late teens or early twenties. This increase is not usually due to increased testosterone, testosterone levels actually fall with age after the early twenties. Most women in menopause have low levels of testosterone. Women with the PCOS may have a different situation. However, the most important factor leading to hair increases during women's forties and fifties is not the level of testosterone but the duration of exposure, also sensitivity of the follicles varies between individuals, partly due to genetic factors.