Hello! My grandfather, who is said never to had been sick before, has been diagnosed with histiosarcoma. He is the one I spent my childhood with, who took me places, showed me things, and I just can’t imagine him being gone. Can you, please, tell me a bit more of this cancer and what are grandfather’s chances of survival? Thank you

Hello. I am sorry to hear this about your grandfather. The full name of this cancer is Maligant fiborus histiocytoma (MFH). It is a rare cancer that occurs in adults in the long bones. MFH has been reported to occur in the lung, kidney, bladder, scrotum, vas deferens, heart, aorta, stomach, small intestine, orbit, CNS, paraspinal area, dura mater, facial sinuses, nasal cavity, oral cavity, nasopharynx, and soft tissues of the neck. It may occur following radiation treatments. It represents as pain and swelling of short duration. Treatment includes chemotherapy and wide enbloc resection of the tumour bearing bone. Radiotheraphy is useful for residual disease and in inaccessible areas. Distant metastasis most commonly occurs to the lung (90%), bone (8%), and liver (1%). The overall survival rate of patients with MFH ranges from 36-58% at 5 years.

My husband who was 40 died of this after only 7 months with chemo and radiation. His was in his brain. We didn't know exactly what we were treating because all biopsies came back inconclusive. We did not know exactly what he died from until the autopsy came back 3 months later.