Hi, my grandfather has been diagnosed with colon cancer stage IV, and his doctor is very angry with him for not checking regularly his condition, since this is a remission 3 years after the first cancer. What are his chances?

Hi, stage IV is final phase and since metastasis are present in other vital organs, depending on severity of damage done to the body by cancer or destructive effects of chemotherapy or radiation prognosis can greatly vary. If cancer has metastasis to a single organ prognosis are much better, compared to condition of widespread cancer. Local cancer tissue can be surgically removed, and widespread disease or unrespectable has generally been considered as uncurable. But, recent researches have developed combination of Avastin® (bevacizumab) and Erbitux® (cetuximab) to prolong life and have improved outcomes.

Hi, my brother was diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer almost 6mons ago-( he was checked 6monthly) bowel, pelvis, lymphs, bone. The NHS basically wrote him off so we went privately. He was given Avastin and folfox at his 3mon scan 90% of the cancer no longer showed- The best we were told we could hope for was it had not grown! I surpose what I am saying is there are many stage 4 cancer patients still alive 5yrs on and todays treatments are so much better no one knows or can guess life expectance. The best advice I can give you is- Be positive, do your research on the best treatments and make sure you manage the side effects well to retain a high quality of life as often its the side effects that make the body too weak to fight, not the cancer. Every human being has the right to the best possible chance and we were not offered that because of a postcode lottery, research, fund raise, cherish every moment. There is hope incurable means no guarentee of a cure not that there isnt one!!