I have a cousin that is diagnosed with melanoma few weeks ago. Now they are thinking it metastases into brain, so we are all terrified. I know that when a diagnosis of melanoma is established, the most critical question is whether the cancer is localized, or has spread to regional lymph nodes and distant organs. Now I wonder if it is common situation, that melanoma comes to brain. I would like to hear more about this scary disease.

I have to tell you that cerebral or brain metastases are clinically diagnosed in 40% to 60% of patients with metastasis melanoma. This incidence increases to 70% to 90% at autopsy. Direct intracranial injection of tumor cells demonstrated that all eight human melanomas were capable of growing in the brain of mice that were used for an experiment. These metastases were found in the meninges, ventricles, and parenchyma, which are parts of the brain where melanoma was metastased. Interesting is that each melanoma showed a slightly different pattern of growth in different regions of the brain. However, cell lines derived from two different brain parenchyma metastases in patients showed a preference for growth in the brain parenchyma. of nude mice. The cell lines derived from lymph node or subcutaneous metastases of patients grew more frequently in the meninges or ventricles than in the brain parenchyma. As you could see, melanoma is cancer that is very likely to spread to some other organs. Unfortunately, it is common situation if affect brain, and we are all sorry to hear your cousin experienced this.

how did your cousin end up doing.My dad just finished radiation on the brain due to melanoma.

I Have melanoma on my head. I was recently diagnosed a few weeks ago. 1 Dr called it nodular melanoma the next Dr called it malignant melanoma.I will soon be going into surgery. Where they will remove my lymp nodes from behind both my ears for a biopsy. Then they will remove the cancer from the crown of my head. proceeding that they want me to do chemotherapy. I'm 37 year old Mom with 4 kids & scared too.