I had an HIV screening done at Planned Parenthood and my results came back as:

HIV 2 Antibody, EIA: NonReactive

HIV 1/2 EIA AB Screen: Repeatedly Reactive (abnormal)

HIV Antibody, HIV 1, Western Blot Interpretation: Negative.

Patient Results: No Bands Detected

When these results were given to me I about fell on the floor. Also, the dr that gave them to me didn't have the best way of telling me.

Please, should I be retesting in 3 or 6 months? My daughter just turned 14 months and I had not had sex since she WAY before she was born, I also had HIV testing done when I got pregnant as the normal and nothing came back reactive, all was negative. I did have sex on 06/21 but it was with a friend whom I know is VERY clean.

Please help ease my mind so that I'm not thinking I need to prepare my daughter for a life without me.

Thank you.

my question is did you retest at another place or did you just leave it and if u retested wat was ur results if u dont mind.

The EIA Ab Screen is only a screening test and will react (be abnormal) in many cases when there is no disease. If this screen is abnormal, the confirmatory tests are done, which are more specific.

The Western Blot for HIV 1 is negative. They then test for HIV type 2. That test is also negative. Based on the information you gave, you should not have HIV.

i was diagnosed with the same term 4 days before my birthday and i was feeling horrible. i spend the whole month of my birthday which is the last month of the year in bed. thank to your article today i feel much better and i can have at least my life back until i go to the doctor again.

thank you so much,
rosa

It just happened to me right now... I am pregnant with my second child, my first born is 15 months old, and type 1 came repeatedly reactive and type 2 non reactive, I almost fainted... I cried all the way home, and I can't stop thinking about it. I have only my husband as partner, never used drugs, never had a blood transfusion, so I was in shock!
I just scheduled another exam in another clinic... I'll be there in one hour to test again... praying this is all a misunderstanding.
:'(

I am 27 old female pregnant in 8 weeks and I got MY HIV screening resulte 2 days ago and it came reactive?? I did the same test before one month and it came nonreactive I have never had sex exapt with MY partner and he do the same never had blood transfusion never used drug!!!!!!!!!

The exact same thing happened to me in 2006, and I was having panic attacks for weeks. When I consulted an immunologist he informed me that the HIV 1/2 MEIA can come back false positive sometimes, but its only the final interpretation that counts.

thank you sooo much for this info...i am in a similar situation; i have a 17 month old daughter and am 3 months pregnant with number 2. i had a completely negative result in both may 2007 and novemeber 2007 (may i had a pap smear and its my obgyn's policy to offer one, november was when i was preggo w/my daughter). my doc just called me to say that the result said the antibodies were reactive, but the western blot came back negative. she said she's sure it's nothing to worry about, and suggestes i wait 6 weeks and be re-tested. i have not been with anyone new since the first test in may 2007, but it still is scary. reading that this is somewhat common has made me feel a little better!!!!

is non reactive is safe?

I had HIV screening and the result was 0.16 NON REACTIVE.

Does this means i have tiny little amount of HIV virus because the reading is not 0.00 and its 0.16 ????

if i was tested for hiv 1/2 eia ab screen and the result said repeatedly reactive, would I have hiv?

I am praying you are correct> I got the same test results and going for retest with a specialist. The mental waiting game and needless to say to "False Positive" possibility for such a serious item is horrifying.

I am a 49 year old, divorced mom, who has absolutely no risk factors. I have never used drugs, I haven't had sex with anyone in 10 years, and I have only ever had sex with three men, two of which were my husbands. all were tested before I ever had sex with any of the three. All came back negative. Since my first divorce, I have been tested regularly up until about three years ago, when I figured, I am not and did not have any intentions of having sex with anyone, and all of my tests had come back negative, I just didn't need to do them anymore. In the past I have donated blood to the Red Cross, and never had an issue. I recently started the process of donating plasma with my niece, and was told today, that I am positive for Anti-HIV 2 EIA. The nurse at the plasma center was absolutely wonderful about informing me. She said that as I have tested positive for the virus, they have already notified the Health Department, and I was now flagged as ineligible to donate ever again. I told her this has to be a mistake, and she said that since there was a confirmatory test done the likelihood of an error was next to nothing. She told me that I might want to consider changing some of my habits, and get my children checked as well since I have been living with them, like I would live anywhere else. The paper she gave me says that the HIV-1 Western Blot was negative, and that the Anti HIV-2 EIA was positive. I don't understand any of this. Is it possible that the test is wrong. When I asked about having it retested, I was informed yet again, that they don't do retesting as the confirmatory test was positive. I live in Michigan, and my sample with many others were sent to a testing center in Alabama, could there have been a mix up???? And if I do find that the test is wrong, how do I have my name cleared off of that list at the health department??? I am just dumbfounded by this. Can you please help me make sense of all of this?

No. The screening (HIV-1/2 Ag/Ab combo immunoassay) will pick any antibodies you may have in your body (possible Influenza/H1N1, HEP A, HEP B, MMR or Varicella vaccines) that may mimic antibodies of HIV. Don't worry about that!!!

The more specific test called 4th Generation HIV-1/HIV-2 antibody differentiation immunoassay will be the next test performed in case of a "reactive" (not positive) result from the screen test. That test has a 97.99% accuracy at 28 days of a possible exposure.

If the 4th Generation HIV-1/HIV-2 antibody differentiation immunoassay is negative (this is the tie breaker), another test called an HIV-1 RNA assay. The HIV-1 RNA assay has an accuracy of 99.99% at 3-4 weeks. The HIV RNA test is used for early detection of HIV. Standard HIV tests measure the levels of the antibodies that fight HIV, whereas RNA-based tests detect the virus itself in the blood. Typically, 1 to 3 weeks after the initial infection, there is enough viral material to yield a positive result.

Regardless of the screening method, a sample producing a reactive result must be screened again in duplicate, with at least 2 of the 3 results being repeatedly reactive before verifying infection with confirmatory assays. The most common reason for nonrepeatable results by screening tests is technical error.

In a laboratory setting, samples that produce repeatedly reactive results by screening tests must be further tested using confirmatory tests, or other confirmatory strategies. Although screening tests are exquisitely sensitive, they lack an adequate degree of "specificity". An example is their low predictive values when testing a population having a low prevalence of infection. When testing a population of 100 individuals, a test having a specificity of 99% can be expected to produce 1 false-positive result. If 1 individual in that same population is truly infected, the test will produce 2 positive results (1 from the infected individual, and 1 false positive). Therefore, if a positive result is produced when testing these 100 individuals, there is only a 50% chance that it represents an accurate result. Consequently, additional testing is required to differentiate between true- and false-positive results.