Hi, I'm 37 years old and recently I have been exposed to HIV virus. I usually practice safe sex but this time I didn’t use protection and I think that the lady I was with might have been infected with HIV. She didn’t say anything but just after a week of my encounter with her I had classic symptoms of acute retroviral syndrome. I went to my doctor right after I felt those symptoms and asked to get tested if I have been infected with HIV or not, but he said that he can't do that because 3 – 6 months are necessary to develop the signs of infection. Why do I have to wait that long.

Yes your doctor is right, it usually takes more than 3 months, and sometimes even up to 6 months for your antibodies to seroconvert in order to detect the signs of infection. The HIV test works by detecting antibodies on HIV virus and it takes some time before your immune system is able to produce enough antibodies so they can be detected in the serum. Seroconversion is the process in which your body produces antibodies against a certain agent, but these antibodies aren’t present in the serum in sufficient amounts so standard detection procedures can't detect them. As soon as antibodies against in this case HIV appear it is considered that the body has seroconverted and only then can HIV tests show a positive result. That means that you have to wait for that period, at least 3 months, before anyone can tell you if you’re HIV positive or not. Right now there are no alternatives to that and you have no other choice but to wait. It is not recommended that you have sexual contact with anyone, protected or not, so that you wouldn’t spread the infection further. If you have any other questions about this be free to talk to your doctor about it. Good luck.

this is not true 3 months is considered the benchmark i.e the holy grail of certainty. seroconversion occurs in 90% of individuals at 4 weeks and over 95 at 8 weeks, by no means is your remark of "at least 3 months" accurate, perhaps 20 years ago but not today, a diagnoses is likely earlier than the 3 month mark. if an infection is suspected, be tested immediately, there are immediate infection prevention methods.

I see that this was posted some time ago. But I found this so other people can.  HIV PCR tests are common now and can tell you 7 days after infection weather u have the virus or not.  Instead of testing for the antibody it tests for the antigen or the actual virus but replicating a very small amount of it many times.

For HIV diagnosis with a recent exposure before the seroconversion HIV RNA PCR can be used for direct detection of ether virus RNA or p24 antigen.

Hi guest can one get HIV when they sleep with a HIV negative woman who had sex with a man with unknown status 2 weeks ago.

If she slept with another man two weeks ago with unknown status, then neither she nor you know that she's negative. So your question should be: can I get HIV from having unprotected sex with someone who, two weeks prior, had unprotected sex with a third person whose status is unknown? And the answer is a definitive: yes, it's possible.

Modus is absolutely right:)