I was recently asked if you could get HIV from a mosquito bites. I know you can’t because they have a certain enzyme that prevents them from spreading it but I don’t really know why. I am worried that I might give wrong information. I need some confirmation about HIV transmits by mosquito bites.

You were right; HIV cannot be transmitted from an insect to a human. Take the example of malaria. Malaria gets into the blood of a mosquito and lodges itself into the salivary glands of the mosquito and then it is transmitted into a human through the saliva of the mosquito. The malaria protozoan can mutate and develop in the saliva of the mosquito, but HIV is a virus that reproduces in the blood cells that a human has not the cells of an insect. HIV needs a different kind of host than an insect to develop, although it can live in an insect for a very short amount of time, so it simply cannot reproduce in a mosquito because of the lack of blood cells.

What a comprehensive and well written answer!