Hi. I have some outdoors plans for my family and I want to take some precaution, to protect my kids from insect bites. I fear mostly of getting a lyme disease and would like to know how to prevent tick bites. Anybody with any suggestion?

Hi. First, ticks are often found in tall grass. They can`t jump from plant on your body, and physical contact is the only way of their transportation. Lyme is not the only disease that the ticks can give you, there are also babesiosis, Q-fever, tularemia... There are some measures you can take to protect you and your family. Avoid tick-infected areas (your local health dep. probably have the information about those areas). If you found yourself in such area, avoid contact with vegetation. Wear ligh-colored clothing, that way you will see the tick crawling on your clothing. Tuck your pants into socks. Use chemical repellent with DEET (an alternative to DEET is picaridin). You can apply it on your kids (avoiding the hands, eyes and mouth). Check your body for ticks every day and safely remove them. Prevent tick on animals as well, if you have a pet.