Hi, these days everywhere I go I hear people talking about holistic healing and the benefits this kind of treatment provides. I wonder what does this holistic approach to medicine consists of. What diseases can be cured by holistic practitioners? What kind of education do they get? Can I rely on them if I get really sick?

Hi, holistic medicine is not a new concept. In fact, the basic principal of holism was introduced by Aristotle in his "Metaphysics" where he states: "The whole is more than the sum of its parts". The word itself has Greek origin and translates as entire, total. Holistic medicine is just a part of holistic health philosophy. People who live according to holistic health postulates try to concentrate on the well-being of the whole person rather than emphasize particular parts of the body. In holistic health mind, body, and spirit are connected and if there is something wrong with one of them it affects the whole and it cannot function properly. When the person gets ill, holistic medicine professional doesn't try to eliminate the symptoms, but tries to work together with the patient and emphasize body's natural self healing process. These "doctors" treat all kinds of chronic diseases, psychological disorders, childhood illnesses, and acute illnesses. Holistic approach to healing includes a wide range of techniques such as acupuncture, naturopathy, yoga, aromatherapy and so on. Based on the technique the practitioner wants to use he or she can be educated in numerous classes, courses and workshops.