Hi, good people. My friend is constantly talking about Ayurveda and how it emphasizes the whole organism and health in general. I would like to know if this ancient Indian discipline classifies as a ‘holistic” method or not. I would say it does, but I would like someone to verify me this. Thank you in advance.

Hello there! Well they are talking a lot about Ayurveda these days. I was also interested in benefits of Ayurvedic medicine and they are numerous. It can indirectly help with other conditions apart from the one being treated. This is because the herbs have been chosen due to fundamental principles of your body and its dosha imbalance, which can manifest in a variety of symptoms..They say that with Ayurvedic preparations, generally there are no side effects when they are taken as advised, under the guidance of your practitioner - however occasionally some discomfort or nausea may be felt as the herbs take effect and the body is adjusting. This can be alleviated by taking certain foods or juice after the preparations, or in some instances adjusting the dosage. Often, discomfort is a result of weak digestion and a buildup of toxins, hence treatment is also focused on strengthening the digestive system along with any other imbalances. So it doesn't seem as a ‘holistic” method me, but still, I'm not brave enough to try it. If your boyfriend tries it and it helps him please let me know. All the best! :-)

Yes, Ayurveda is a holistic medical system. I have been studying and practicing it for 10 years. Holistic medicine implies that when a person is being diagnosed, more than just the present symptoms are being considered. A holistic practitioner will likely want to know a lot about a patient's diet, lifestyle, the environment & climate they live in, the types of friends they keep, exercise and more depending on how thorough they want to be. This is because it is believed that all of these factors influence health and should all be considered when trying to bring someone back into balance.