My Sister is 15 years old, and She was having problems going to School, and we couldnt put our fingers on it. She would go somedays and than wont go for weeks. My parents were pulled into court, and the Court placed my sister in Sagamore Children Center to be evalulated. The docters there found that she has Autism, and the docters said that she should not be in Sagamore, its not the proper placement for her, and she should go home, and be placed in a different school. Well not only did my sister spend two weeks there and miss Christmas and New Years, they went back to Court Yesterday, and the Head of Sagamore sent her back, because she only did two days of schooling due to the Holiday break. I think it is unfair that my sister is in Sagamore because she has a medical problem, and missed out on Christmas. Now they have her there for another 2 weeks, and god knows what they are gunna do next time. She is distraut and just wants to come home!!!! Why are they Punishing her for her medical problem. Its totally unfair!!!!!!! What can we do to help get her out of there?!?!?!

- Nicole

get an attorney. this is a medical forum.. i am a MD specializing in pediatric urology and taking classes in St. Mary's University law school and this is a matter for an attorney to deal with

Dr. D

I reply to this topic mainly for I am autistic at the age of 15. I say that unless it is a very high up version of autism, your sister shouldn't go to that school, but will still need an IEP to work with. I think in my case that I have a lower form of autism, still makes hard to do skills in school; one thing I had personal problems was the bullying in schools I had been in. If bullying is one case, there can be more factors in this that can be more of a personal problem; I know first hand how it is difficult for me to talk about my personal problems on the subject of my enviornment or other factors. I have also learned that the right enviornment for learning is more stimulated with friendship and a good team of support just in case things do happen; this is where an IEP comes in handy for an IEP permitts certain needs to the child/teen in learning. I hope this helps.