Hi everyone. I am very scared right now. Few days ago I heard about a thing called parvovirus for the first time. I was walking with my dog the other day when I ran into a friend with a golden retriever. She had to hurry so we only talked for a couple of minutes. Few days later, I’m on facebook and I get a message from her telling me that her dog has this parvovirus. He is very weak, she is even afraid he is not gonna make it. I remembered that my dog had contact with hers the other day and I panicked. Can you tell me is this virus highly contagious?

Yes, it is. This is virus that manifest itself in two totally different forms. The side-effects of slightly less harmful form usually are vomiting, diarrhea, weight loss and of course, lack of appetite. Sometimes, it can lead to anorexia, because it is really serious disorder. Sometimes, it can be more serious, and it can attack the heart muscles of young puppies, which usually lead to death. I don’t want to scare you. Some dog breeds, such as Doberman, Pit Bulls, Labrador Retrievers, etc  are vulnerable to the disease. The best way to prevent this infection is to follow main protocol for vaccination. 

I am sorry to inform you that parvovirus is extremely contagious. 

It can be transmitted by any person or animal.  I think even an object can transmit it if it comes in contact with an infected dog's feces. It is highly resistant. 

It can live in the environment for months, so please keep your dog away from your friend’s dog for several months. Don’t take your dog to her house. The virus can survive on inanimate objects like food bowls, clothes, shoes, carpet and floors. 

Your dog is supposed to be vaccinated. Dogs often contract parvovirus from the streets, especially if there are many dog owners in the neighborhood. 

Unfortunately, yes it is highly contagious. Your dog doesn’t even need to have any contact with the
infected dog to get it. He can get infected only by getting in touch with the feces of infected dog.
I don’t want to scare you. Your dog is probably fine, if he had caught this virus, believe me you would know. There would be symptoms. His immune system is probably pretty strong and that kept him healthy.
Please do me a favor and tell your friend to make sure none of the other dogs get in touch with her dog for a long period of time. I really hope he’ll get better.

Totally! Highly! It is a contagious virus mainly affecting dogs. Vaccines can prevent this infection. I really don’t want to scare you, but mortality can reach 91% in untreated cases. Sometimes, treatment often involves veterinary hospitalization. You dog can develop this disease within only three to seven days. Signs are – vomiting, fever, diarrhea, and the first sign of this is lethargy. There are some stages of this infection, but I really don’t want to scare you know if you are not sure what is it about. Seeing the vet is the best option you can do, to see is your dog healthy or not.

Hello, Mia.

I can assure you that your dog is parvo-free for now. He is not infected because serious symptoms would be already visible.

But, the next thing you need to do (if you haven’t before) is to get your dog vaccinated. Only ignorant people are against vaccination (no matter for humans or animals). It’s scientifically proved that vaccination protects your dog against dangerous parvovirus.

Of course, you need to keep your dog away from sick animal or with whatever that dog came into contact.

Hello.

This virus attacks very rapidly dividing cells in your dog’s body. I went through this and I know how this can be painful, for both. It attacks the white blood cells as well. My dog was very, very young when he was infected, so this virus damaged the heart muscles. That caused cardiac problems, and unfortunately he died. Since then I really don’t want to have a dog. It is my fault somehow, because I didn’t notice the main symptoms. You really need to observe, try to see every change. I agree and I believe that your dog is not infected for now, but you should be really careful!