Hi, guys. A kid from my son’s class is diagnosed with kawasaki disease. I must admit that I have never heard about this disease before. I would like to know if it is contagious. Should I let my son go to the school? Maybe my question sounds silly to you, but I am not a medical expert.

Hi, there. You don’t need to worry. Kawasaki disease is not contagious. It is an autoimmune disease. It means that immune system attacks the cells from the organism. Those are one of the most complicated diseases. In Kawasaki, the main component is acute vasculitis. In vasculitis there is inflammation of small and medium sized blood vessels. You should really give support to that kid since it won’t be easy for him/her. I hope this will help.

Hello there Eloise,

I can completely understand your worries. Similar thing has happened to my daughter’s class and on a school meeting we were informed about this fact. But the teacher hasn’t told us anything more so we were pretty much concerned about the same thing.

One of the parents, luckily, is a doctor so he has informed us that this is autoimmune disorder and that is not contagious. He has also told us that this girl is going to have pretty rough life and that our kids must behave like everything is absolutely normal. Later on I have find out that autoimmune disorders are the worst possible conditions.

thers only a 25% chance the child will have a heart problem. My brother had it and hes totally fine.

My baby is 16 mths she got kawasaki its been a day since she came out of the hospital, but her eyes is still red an do they got it back again..

BULL c**p THIS ISNT CONTAGIOUS!!! EXPLAIN WHY MY DAUGHTER HAS IT AND NOW ALSO MY SON?? they just doont have proof because not much reasearch is done..

How is it bull that this is not contagious as I had this a child with a brother under the age of 5 who never 'caught' the same syndrome so no it is not contagious read up on google on official medical pages and you will find out what it actually is not by asking clueless people that have no idea what they are talking about or go to your doctor and talk to them if you have any concerns!!!!!!