This question bugs me a lot: is hypertrophy on the bike possible? My whole family suffers from heart diseases and I’ve started cycling a couple of years ago. I feel great but I’m worried that since my cycling distances are pretty long, I could get heart hypertrophy. Is it possible and how to prevent it? I wouldn’t like to quit cycling.

Since we’re talking about serious issues here, I really must suggest you to see your doctor. I don’t think that the fact that members of your family have cardiac problems must inevitably mean that you’re in danger, especially if we have in mind that cycling is a very healthy sport. Of course, you shouldn’t exaggerate while you’re training. If you are worried, reduce your distances until you undergo a medical check-up. I know that certain sports which are demanding and exhausting can bring about hypertrophy, but I don’t know whether it has to do more with the sport or with the particular person and his or her general health. You can also check your heart rate regularly while you’re cycling.