Hi, my boyfriend has a sinus infection, and it is getting worse over time. I also have some symptoms in my nose, like mucus and itching. Could I catch it from him? Is sinus infection contagious?

No, I don’t think sinus infection is contagious. I had it last year, and a doctor never told me that I have to be careful not to infect the other people. I think that only viruses are contagious, and sinus infections are not because they’re bacterial. I had constant headaches and pressure in my nose, eyes and cheek. It was so irritating! I couldn’t sleep because of it, and I was depressed all the time. I was told that I have a bad breathe, and I was coughing all the time. It was a nightmare. Don’t be afraid that you could get a sinus infection from your boyfriend, you better help him cope with it. If you’re afraid anyway, there are some things you can do to prevent a sinus infection. You can exercise, have a balanced diet and rest.

I disagree because it can be. Why? Because if your sinus infection is caused by a virus, there is a huge possibility to spread that virus to another person that is close to you at this moment. How is this manifested in this case? Well, this could cause them to develop a cold, which could then develop into a sinus inflammation. It can be transited easily, for example, when fluid or mucus is trapped into your sinuses, those germs can begin to grow. That can lead to a sinus infection. I support this idea of having a balanced way of eating and plenty of rest. 

Just a bit of advice: My husband and I have cut our sinus infections down tremendousley by using a Netti pot with saline daily in the shower. It is amazing how good you feel and it flushes the mucous in your sinuses out so that it doesn't get infected. You can find them at any Health food store.

To c girl I have used a nette pot and it is wonderful. They now have on the market an electrical nette pot. It is better than great. A little costly $75-95 Its pretty much looks like like a water pik for your teeth except the instrument goes in your nose instead of in your mouth like a water pick does. It also has an attachment that does go in your mouth that cleans your tongue which eliminates a good deal of bacteria. I love it hope this is helpful :D

My 7 year old son was diagnosed with a sinus infection and we were told by his pediatrician he would not be able to return to school until he had one full day of antiobiotics in his system because it was contagious. The reason I took him in the first place was because he complained of ear pain.

Sinus infections themselves are not contagious, but the cold which may have caused the sinus infection is contagious.

A sinus infection is localized in the sinuses and is not, itself, able to be passed from one person to another. However, having a cold or some other infectious problem which increase the amount of mucus which, in turn, can aggravate the sinuses and result in a sinus infection.

So, again, a sinus infection may be a SIGN of having a contagion, but is not itself able to be spread.

I think some clarity is needed on what a sinus infection is. See the link below. But in summary, bacterial infections ARE MOST DEFINITELY contagious. So if you have a sinus infection that is not just simple inflammation but also includes a bacterial infection, then your condition is contagious.

***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

A sinus infection can be viral.Sometimes a sinus infection is caused by the same germ that causes the flu,or the common cold both are contagious this sinus infection would be contagious.

Any infection that can come out of one body and enter another body, is contagious. It can be through the nose/mouth but is not limited to that. Even a cut can allow streptococcus into the body. Group A streptococci (GAS), I know can shut down organs and it is known to spread throughout the body through the blood. This is the category you would find Strep Throat, Scarlet Fever and Rheumatic Fever. 

ALL INFECTIONS ARE CONTAGIOUS IF YOU COME IN CONTACT WITH IT. I have never heard otherwise. A general rule is usually is if someone has an infection and/or fever, they are contagious. So always use caution when coming in contact with anyone that has one. And avoid others until 24/48 hours after being on antibiotics. although I have found I can get rid of one without them, I have a fairly decent immune system. The people that are more vulnerable are children, the elderly and anyone who has a weakened immune system. 

If ever in doubt, see a doctor. It's not something you should gamble with. 

Some sinus infections are triggered by a viral infection rather than bacterial.

The person who said a netti pot costs $75 is using an electric netti pot. A non-electric version is $10 or $11.
Sinus infections can be viral or bacterial.
Myra

hi, my boyfreind has got synus too. i have read quit much about it lately. bt m still confuse whether i can catch it. 

some1 above said u should avoid contact till after 2weeks of being on antibiotics. does that mean synus is not always thr???? do antibiotics completely kill synus infaction? i have never in last two yrs seen my boyfreind without synus infction going on.  N M REALLY WORRIED FOR HIM.  is thr anything that can help him??? except a surgery? n what cautions can i take to prevent it?? and is thr a chance that our kids get synus by birth when we have thm?