Good day everyone. You are very popular at social network I can tell. That is how I found out about you. Maybe you are not that good as they are telling me, but I need to speak to someone who can understand me, who had similar experience to mine. My name is Anna and I am 54 years old. I was diagnosed with Pericardial cyst in my heart. Doctor told me that I probably have it for a very long time. I want to know what do you do about your condition? How do you treat pericardial cyst? Any information for me? 

Hey there and welcome in here. I am glad that you have nice opinion about us. We are here to help everyone, so we will try to help you as well.

Look the pericardium is something like a bag structure that surrounds the heart. It is normally very smooth and tin tissue. This is a small fluid – filled mass that is part of the pericardium and it is sometimes called spring water cyst of the pericardium. The main reason is because it is filled with very clear liquid. They are very rare actually. Well, a symptomatic cyst can usually be treated by a needle passed through the chest wall with ultrasound. There is also other reason, and that is CT guidance to drain it.

Hi folks. Perycardial cysts are benign and most of them are discovered incidentally on X ray test or some other imaging of the chest area. Well, most of them are totally symptomless but after a while patient can develop symptoms such as shortness of breath, coughing. Those are very common symptoms.

The diagnosis is usually confirmed with CT scan. Now, about the treatment – it usually include observation, drainage via the skin and in some cases surgical excision.

Now what is the best treatment for you will depend on the cyst itself and on the patient's general state of heath.

Good luck.

Good day guys. How are you?

Sometimes removal is something that you need to do. My three friends needed to remove it because it was really problematical for their health. My good friend did this procedure seven months ago and I remember that when she got this diagnose, she came at my home and told me that CT scans showed 2 totally different cysts that were apart one from other. The first cyst was a pericardial cyst on the right atrium of the heart. I can’t remember what this other cyst was but I do know that doctor told her that surgery in this case is necessary. Everything went fine and he is fine now.

Yes, sometimes the surgery is the only option. But I believe that surgical treatment of pericardial cysts should be reserved for the patients who have severe symptoms due to complications or even when diagnosis is uncertain and malignancy is suspected. That is the only way when surgery is necessary. Other treatments include treatment with medications and I believe that they are the most common. But it is very hard to tell which treatment is the best for you. I am not an expert but I do know that you need to do a lot of analyses to find out what the cause is and how dangerous it is.

Have a nice day.