While I had my knee X - rayed, the doctors accidentally discovered bone cyst in my thighbone. I was just informed about this and told that bone cyst does not need any treatment. Tell me something more about it. Is it cancerous?

Bone cyst is actually a cavity in your bone filled with liquid, so it is benign. The type of bone cyst you have is the simple or unicameral bone cyst (the cavity is located in one bone). Bone cyst can make the bone weaker and more likely to break. They often occur in the long bones - upper arm or thighbone, but sometimes can be found in the pelvis or heel. There are no symptoms and in most cases people do not know that they have a bone cyst unless they discover it by accident (as in your case). The cause of the disorder is not known. It is very often in teenagers, whose bones are still growing, or in people who have osteoarthritis or rheumatoid arthritis. These cysts usually heal spontaneously and the treatment is really not necessary. However, if the doctor estimates that the existence of the cyst can cause bone fracture, the surgery is recommended. Steroid injections and bone marrow injections are given in order to help the healing process, whereas bone grafting means that the liquid is first drained and then the cavity is filled with the material taken from another bone in the organism. Unfortunately, even after a successive treatment, the bone cysts can return.