Hello there.

I was reading a lot about Recurrent Pericarditis because a lot of members in my family had problem with it. I don't know should i be worried about this, but I am worried a little bit. I don't even know how common this disease is because I don't know anyone else who has it.

So, my main question is - how common is Recurrent Pericarditis in people? Who is at the bigger risk to have it?

I also do a lot of exercises every day so I want to know can exercising help in prevention?

Thank you guys! 

Hey there.

Unfortunately it is very common.  Recurrent pericarditis just like a chronic myocarditis, is often considered to be an autoimmune consequence of a prior viral infection. Both the pericardium and the heart develop from the mesoderm. I know that the embryonic heart enters and invaginates the pericardial sac giving rise to the visceral pericardium or epicardium on the heart surface.

I am not sure about the exercising and preventing this disease at this way, but I think that some exercises can’t make problems for you. I am sure that you can ask your doctor to tell you what exercises are the best.

Hello there. Like you already have heard, it is very common and Pericarditis develops suddenly and may last up to a few months. Sometimes excess fluid develops in the space between the pericardial layers and causes a pericardial effusion, a potentially life threatening condition. You can be one of the thousands of people diagnosed with pericarditis each year, you might have felt like you were having a heart attack. The reason is because those symptoms are very similar, and Pericarditis can even affect healthy young athletes and children due to a viral infection, autoimmune disease or trauma. Although the condition might keep you from exercising and training until it’s cleared up, you should eventually be able to return to normal activity. So you can exercise during this disease and it also helps in prevention.

Good day. I was pretty sure that this disease is not common at all. Maybe the main reason was because I have never heard about it before. But when my cousin was diagnosed with this disease, I found out that it is really common. A lot of patient are actually diagnosed with it and generally, no one is not safe from it. I don't know some good ways to prevent this disease, I am not the best person to be asked in this case, but I know that exercises are really good in preventing and treating any disease. So, it is actually worth of trying. 

Yes, I forget to mention some of the treatments for this. Your doctor may advise you to rest until you feel better and have no fever. That is one way of the treatment. Also your doctor may tell you to take over-the-counter, anti-inflammatory medicines to reduce pain and inflammation. Some of those medicines are aspirin and ibuprofen. There are some stronger medicine, but they may be needed if the pain is severe. Your doctor may prescribe a medicine called colchicine and a steroid called prednisone.

I am not so sure that exercises are playing big role in prevention. I know a lot of people who had problem with this and they were active.