Hello everyone,

My best friend's dad recently went to see his doctor about some weird pain that he felt on his heart. At first, nobody expected this to be something serious, but his dad had to stay for a week in the hospital for examinations. After one week has passed, they told him that he has heart cancer.

They told him that he has heart cancer called Cardiac Lipoma. My friend said that even the doctors seemed a bit unsure about this while they were saying it to his dad, and I have never heard of this cancer type before, either.

So is it true that you can get heart cancer called Cardiac Lipoma?

Hi Adria,

Yes, it is true, there is a type of cancer called cardiac lipoma, but it is rather uncommon.

Cardiac lipomas are uncommon benign primary cardiac neoplasms and occur across a wide age range. As far as I know, these aren't dangerous at all, even though they are a sort of cancer. They are soft and may grow to a large size without causing symptoms and are usually incidentally discovered. 

In most cases, cardiac lipomas require no treatment or surgical intervention unless they cause arrhythmia, embolize, compress the coronary arteries, or obstruct flow within the heart. Cardiac lipomas are usually easily treated.

Hi you two,

I agree with Stradivarius, there is a cancer type called cardiac lipoma but there haven't been many reported cases of it. It is a very rare cancer type but the good thing is that unlike other cancers, this one isn't dangerous, at least not if you find out that you have it on time, then it can be easily treated.

Surgical resection of the symptomatic cardiac lipomas remains the main treatment, but it has more than 90% success rate. I believe that your best friend's dad is going to be just fine, you can tell this to your friend too, it might make him feel better.

Hi guys,

They are right Adria, there is heart cancer called cardiac lipoma, I know this very good because I had it.

It is a very rare condition as they wrote already, but unlike all other rare conditions which are most often dangerous, this one is not. You can easily have this cancer without even knowing and if it doesn't get any bigger, which cardiac lipomas usually don't, then you will never know that you had it without having any consequences. Now I had a choice whether do I want to leave it like it was or have it surgically removed. I went to a surgery and everything went as planned.

Hi everyone,

Guest has a point, this type of tumor isn't really dangerous and a lot of people happen to discover it incidentally. The best radiologic study to identify and help differentiate cardiac lipomas is echocardiogram. Cardiac computerized tomography (CCT) and cardiac magnetic resonance imaging (CMR) also have a role in differentiating cardiac lipomas from other cardiac tumors and lesions.

I believe that Health n Joy is right as well, and Guest told you from his own experience, surgical removal of the lipoma is the only way of treating it, no medications or diet changes or anything, only a surgical procedure.

Good day there friends.

Like others told you – is it true. It is possible to get heart cancer called cardiac lipoma.

As far as I know, this cancer is in the group of benign primary cancers. But I have to agree with everyone in here –there are not so much cases that are reported, there are not so much people who had this heart cancer.

Amazing thing is, like I already told you, that this cancer is not so dangerous and I am pretty sure that you are going to be able to fight with it with medications. Good luck there.

Hi guys.

The primary tumors of the heart are extremely, but EXTREMELY rare tumors that arise from the normal tissues that build up the heart. Well, this is in contrast to secondary tumors of the heart which are usually either metastatic from another part of the body or infiltrate the heart via direct extension from surrounding tissues.

I was reading that the most common primary tumor of the heart is the myxoma and that less common tumors of the heart include lipoma and cyst tumors.

It is not dangerous, as far as I know and I believe that patient doesn’t need some big treatment.

Hey there everyone. Others explained to you what this is actually, but I am going to tell you what I do know as well. Look, lipomas can occur in the heart and they can happen in the visceral and parietal pericardium as well. Those types of lipomas are often clinically mistaken for pericardial cysts.

I know that most of the lipomas occur in the epicedium but in cases of multiple tumors they can occur anywhere actually.

But generally, they are soft and they may grow to the large size without causing any symptoms. Usually, they require no treatment but you need to be in constant touch with your doctor.  

Hey there guys.

I have never heard about this but I am very happy because I found this topic. I remember that I was discussing with my cousin about this and I she told me that there isn't anything like heart cancer.

Now, I am reading all your posts and I am thankful because I got this new information. I am left speechless.

I know that some of her friends had problems with heart and someone told her that it can be heart cancer, but she didn't believe him. Now I can see that it can be :/

Thank you very much.