Hello! I have five years old son and I am really proud of him. Sometimes he asks very funny questions and makes me laugh very often. But, sometimes he asks very serious questions and I don't know the answers. For example, my husband had headache yesterday and took paracetamol and my mother took some paracetamol for her toothache too, and he asked: "How do painkillers know which pain to kill?" I was surprised and I told him I would find the answer for him.

Hi! Children are really amazing! They keep surprising us all the time. They are so clever, aren't they? Well, painkillers are divided into two major categories – narcotic and non-narcotic. We usually use non-narcotic ones as paracetamol, ibuprofen or aspirine. They control pain but also lower fever and inflammation. They work by blocking the production of some substances produced by the body which give the signal to the brain to feel pain. So, the pain location is not important, when the signal is blocked you feel no pain. Pain is actually very useful; it is the signal sent by our body that something is wrong.